Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't open excel attachment directly from outlook express.

• Please log in to reply

MaMister

MaMister

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
I am having a problem opening a file attachment with Outlook Express 6. I can save the attachement to the hard drive and open it, but when I try and open it directly from Outlook express, it says " the file cannot be found C:\Documents
and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\....\name.xls"

Other attachments is ok. Please advise.

Advertisements

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
I am not familiar at all with Outlook, I won't even open that program.
But it sounds like you are not actually downloading and saving the file to your hard drive.

When you get the attachment be sure that you are saving it to your hard drive rather than opening it from the source.

The message you got shows that it was opened from the source and not saved directly to your hard drive, but rather, was saved in a temporary folder so that you could view it. You maybe cleaned out your temporary internet files or maybe your settings are set to clean them out, in which case the attachment is no longer available and you have to get it from the source again

So, again, if you want the attachment, you have to click it and save it to your computer instead of opening it from its source location.

MaMister

MaMister

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Thanks for the reply.

This is what i did:

1. Uninstall office 2003 and reinstall, still get the same problem.

2. Uninstall office 2003 and get install a copy of office xp, the problem goes away! Now I can open that xls file directly from OE.

But I would like to fix the problem and use back the office 2003.

Please advice. Thanks.