Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Codec Problems

• Please log in to reply

Mike Gee

Mike Gee

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have a Dell Latitude D620 laptop and a Dell Dimension 9100 Desktop, both well endowed with HDD memory and RAM.
My laptop plays almost anything I throw at it in WMP 11 flawlesswly and launches very quickly.

My Desktop is very picky about what it will and won't play, so I figured I must have a region setting or codec issue with my desktop.
I checked Region settings and they are same on both machines. I next got a copy of Sherlock and compared the Codecs in use on both machines.
All the codecs in the laptop are listed and identical to the ones in the desktop, however the desktop that is giving the problems also has a lot of other codecs installed. ( I tried to fix the problem by installing Klite (latest version) and I guess this is where the extra codecs came from.

The desktop also has Cyberlink Power DVD installed. When I insert a DVD, Power DVD launches ( not WMP 11) and sometimes plays OK, sometimes rearranges parts of the picture being played back and sometimes just does not launch and the DVD runs endlessly in the drive locking up the whole system until I eject it manually.

1) I am actually happy with the way WMP 11 plays DVDs so is it possible to remove Power DVD and re-associate everything with WMP 11?
2) Can I just delete the Codecs in the desktop that do not match those in the laptop, or will this cause bigger problems?

Any help and suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,

Mike.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
You can re-associate all dvd files to the wmp11 by going into the wmp -> tools -> settings choose the media types and mark them all. This way all file will run automatically with the media player. If you un install the power dvd it may not do anything with the speed of it running.
The problem of it running endlessly could be the dvd player (I'm not sure how to definitely decide.)

Deleting codecs could cause a problem and also be the problem. The way some codec packs are designed they may have connections between the different codecs. Many codec packs ask to uninstall the other ones installed so you might want to unintall all and then install from scratch. I have seen that some are listed but are not working properly.