Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to install Windows 2000 on Vista ?

• Please log in to reply

januszon

januszon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi
Just got new laptop with Vista, but realized that I also need Windows 2000 (have some expensive program which runs under 2000, and don't want to spend big $$ to buy Vista update ).
Late I will be using double booting.
I already created separate partition on my HD using Vista "shrink" function.
When I put original W2000 CD and try to install it, Vista recognizes that it is old Windows OS and
setup functionality is disabled.
Is there any way of installing W2000 after Vista was put on the HD ?

Thank you very much,

Januszon

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Need to install the older Windows first, then install Vista. It'll then do the dual-boot for you.

The Matt

The Matt

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I found this in a MaximumPC magazine (issue January 2008). It is actually to downgrade to Windows XP but it should work for Windows 2000 Too.

I will give you the article and just try and see if it helps.

----

Downgrade to WinXP

1. Sadly you can't just pop in an XP disc while you're running Vista and hit install. Your first step is to determine whether you want to dual boot Vista or simply wipe Vista out and replace it with XP. If you're going to dual boot, use the DiscPart tool on the Vista installation disc (details here: http://tinyurl.com/fyzmf) to create a second partition, or use a third-party tool such as GParted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/) to do the same thing. If your wiping out Vista, you can use the same tools to erase the Vista partition and start with a clean slate or just reformat while booting and installing from the XP setup disc.

2. If you're using a bleeding-edge PC, XP will likely choke when it comes time to start copying files, as it won't be able to see your hard drive. Why? XP can't handle AHCI mode on SATA drives, which most newer PCs have enabled. In your PC's BIOS, turn off AHCI mode (which should turn on ATA emulation) to make your installation easier. Or just load the drivers via floppy F6 drivers at boot. Alternately, you can slipstream AHCI drivers into a Windows XP installation disc, but this is a huge hassle.

3. With a blank partition ready and AHCI turned off, boot from an XP setup disc, preferably one with the newest Service Pack preloaded on it. Install the operating system normally. (If dual booting, Vista will remain on the C: drive; XP will show up on E: or another drive letter. The two OSes will be able to see each other, so be cautious when selecting the proper drive when installing apps.)

4. If you plan to dual boot, you'll need to repair the Master Boot Record, as XP overwrites the Vista-created MBR (Master Boot Record), which prevents Vista from loading. To fix it, boot from a Vista DVD and select "Repair your computer" on the Install Now screen. Select Startup Repair to finish the job.

5. Last Step: Set up dual booting. Any boot manager will do the job, or try the free (and Vista-friendly) EasyBCD (http://tinyurl.com/yousxx). Boot into Vista (you won't have a choice), install and run EasyBCD, then click Add/Remove Entries. Change the drive to letter E: (or whatever drive letter you setup in Step 3), and then change Type to Windows NT/2k/XP/2k3. Click Add Entry, then Save. Reboot and the bootloader will now automatically appear.

----

As I said before, the same should work for Windows 2000. I was thinking about this while I was typing this up and I was going to say if you have a license for Windows XP the programs you have that run on Windows 2000 should work on Windows XP. If they don't work in Windows XP, I would recommend trying to run those programs in XP and Vista's (they both have this built in them) Compatibility mode which allows the operating system to run programs and tells the programs that it is the operating system you choose and not the one that you are trying to run it on.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
If you did not get an actual Vista DVD with your computer and you wipe out the vista to install 2000 then when you use the recovery disc they will wipe out 2000. Try compatability mode or better yet run 2000 in virtual machine click here for info on virtual machine

januszon

januszon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you very much for all replies. I do have Windows XP legal copy and I installed it and went back to W2000, my program won't run under it (it is Mechanical Desktop design software and now they split it into 2 separate modules, each few thousand $$ for Vista). It looks that I can not install easily W2000 on Vista Laptop.
I will definitely try over weekend virtual machine solution, thank you Wolfgang3212.

Januszon

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
My boss has to run XP in virtual machine because she can not access the old novell server with Vista, it has worked realy good so far. Hope you expensive programs work as well.