Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

static ip

• Please log in to reply

hackergal

hackergal

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I am probably posting in the wrong section, but silly question here:

If I set us IIS in my administrative tools, where do I go for a static ip address so I can run a very moderate ftp server? Currently, as my area does not support dsl, I have a wireless link to my friend's shop and I then share his dsl. So, my service provider is to all intents and purposes, not the place where my domain etc. is registered, but in this instance, good old Telkom. Any ideas or is there any software I can get to emulate something - I just want to share some of my stuff with a basic ftp.

Thanks

Advertisements

garf12

garf12

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
you can get a dynamic dns fowarder service like dyndns.org or tzo.com. It will update the DNS records to show your currrent dynamic IP address, thus pretty much making it like you have a static IP. I use dyndns and it works great and it cheap cheap cheap. I have also used tzo.com and it works great also.

Edited by garf12, 26 April 2005 - 03:09 PM.

hackergal

hackergal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks a zillion - will give them both a go!

Jye

Jye

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
you can also try no-ip i use along with serv u and have no trouble at all plus it free

hackergal

hackergal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thank you - I got the TZO running and I've assigned an IP address for myself, but I am unable to connect from another pc. Maybe I should load up something like Bulletproof as I am only using the Windows XP IIS options in Administrative Tools. I have Bulletproof but I will also give your programs a try.

Jye

Jye

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
yeah good luck on that, you can use bulletproff too i beleive as all you set up as server is your no-ip address

any problems give me a shout be happy to help

hackergal

hackergal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Many thanks - going to be busy with work Friday and hopefully get some time to myself on the weekend and will give the whole lot another go. If I get it running, I will send you a link !!

Jye

Jye

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
thx that be great