Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help!?!?!

• Please log in to reply

Haerry

Haerry

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Right, so i've finally bought a graphics card (a 7600GT), and have made an attempt to install it myself. I put it in and tried to load the driver (now thinking back, i am not sure if i did this correctly). I could not get my monitor running through the connection on the graphics card and assumed something was wrong (at this point i was still running it through the connection to the intel on-board graphics). I was not really sure what i was doing, but in an attempt to get the monitor showing picture throught the port on the 7600, i disabled the driver for my onboard card. (in the manual it said to uninstall/disable the driver for any onboard graphics after you have installed the nvida driver). Now i cannot get a picture on the monitor no matter which plug i connect my monitor's cable to (onboard or 7600).

Am i correct in thinking that i have probably not installed the 7600 correctly, and should try doing that again? If so, how do i enable the on-board intel graphics so i can get a picture on my monitor, so that i can install the nvida driver properly?

Thanks for any help that you could give,
Haerry

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
let me try and explain, either port should display the post screen or something on the monitor before the operating system loads.

Please clarify, does anything display on the monitor with either the onboard or the 7600GT when you first turn on the computer?

If the answer is no the remove the 7600, unplug the computer and remove the motherboard battery(looks like a oversized watch battery) taking note on witch way it is installed (usually writing up). Leave the computer like this for 10 minutes, then replace the battery and plug the monitor into the onboard and see if you have video.

If you do then we will get into installing the 7600GT

Haerry

Haerry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The case is that nothing is being displayed on the monitor, so I am going to try your suggestion and remove the battery. Will let you know how it went, and *hopefully* if the video returns will be back on for instructions on how to install the new card correctly.

EDIT: Yeah! It worked! Thanks alot Doby. This may be a bit much to ask, but is there any chance you (or anyone else helpful) could give me step-by-step directions on how to install the new card correctly?

Thanks for all your help,
Haerry

Edited by Haerry, 03 January 2008 - 12:47 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ok great news now that you up and running with the onboard,

Remove the drivers for the onboard using add/remove programs
Reboot and enter bios and disable the onboard graphics if your bios has this option, if not don't worry about it.
Power down and install the video card
start the computer and enter safe mode by repeatedly tapping F8, choose VGA mode.
Disable your virus scan
Install the drivers that are on the cd that came with the card.
Reboot and you should be all set.

Let me know how this works, if you have no video at all with the card there could be a problem with it, if this happens repeat the above and use the onboard till we get it sorted

Haerry

Haerry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay, thanks. Just a few questions before I try it (sorry, i just really don't want to screw up my pc by mistake).

1. How do you enter BIOS mode?
2. By "install the video card" do you mean slot & screw it in?
3. And finally, even if i mess this up, even though i have removed the drivers for the onboard, will i always be able to return the whole computer to it's last working settings by removing the battery? (I ask this because although I am willing to attempt to install the card myself, I have decided that if there is any chance I can accidentaly damage my computer permenantely, I will not do it myself, but ask my friend to do it for me (who is perfectely competent with computers.)

P.S.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remove the drivers for the onboard how will I be able to get a picture on my monitor? (which i will need, in order to install the new driver)

Really appreciate your help Dobby btw, im just terrified I'll mess up my computer somehow.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

How do you enter BIOS mode?

Bios is also called setup, you enter it by tapping a key repeatedly at startup, this key could be listed during post, the initial startup screen, sometimes delete, F1, F2, F12, depends on the computer.

What brand computer is it?

By "install the video card" do you mean slot & screw it in?

Yes

And finally, even if i mess this up, even though i have removed the drivers for the onboard, will i always be able to return the whole computer to it's last working settings by removing the battery? (I ask this because although I am willing to attempt to install the card myself, I have decided that if there is any chance I can accidentaly damage my computer permenantely, I will not do it myself, but ask my friend to do it for me (who is perfectely competent with computers.)

Its fairly simple as long as you take precautions, like esd(electro static discharge) To remove static from your body simply touch the case before touching anything inside the computer or the video card. Work on a tile or wood floor not carpet

Also important is to make sure the card is inserted completely in the slot.

I assume you read the manual for the card, if it requires a additional power connector make sure its pluged in.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remove the drivers for the onboard how will I be able to get a picture on my monitor? (which i will need, in order to install the new driver)

After driver removal you will still be able to see, its just that you will then be usig a standard vga windows driver, it won't be pretty but trust me you will be able to see, it will be the same when you boot to vga mode with the new card, till you get the new driver installed.

Really appreciate your help Dobby btw, im just terrified I'll mess up my computer somehow.

I completely understand, you will be ok as long as you are good with the mechanics, take your time and double check things and of coarse follow instructions

Haerry

Haerry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your help. I had a bit of trouble, as i think that the on board graphics are dodgy. Hopefully this won't be a problem anymore as I won't be using them.

Thanks for all your help and patience,
Haerry

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome, Is the new card up and running now?