Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cannot run .exe files

• Please log in to reply

quinncx

quinncx

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey folks! Rorschach112 from That Computer Guy's forum sent me over here to try to fix a problem I'm having with my computer.

My husband was having lots of problems and decided to reboot his laptop from the boot disks, but his laptop is still not working right. We can't run any .exe files without getting an error message; I get the box that tells me to choose a program to run the file. Also, I can't connect to my wireless network- it keeps trying and failing.

Any advice?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello quinncx...

Are you able to open the Registry Editor either by: Click Start, then on Run, type regedit in the Open field and click "Ok".

Or...Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete at the same time to open Task Manager and click on the "New Task" button. Type regedit.exe in the Open field and press click "Ok".

Let me know if you are able to open the Registry Editor by either method.

wannabe1

--Ryli--

--Ryli--

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hey folks! Rorschach112 from That Computer Guy's forum sent me over here to try to fix a problem I'm having with my computer.

My husband was having lots of problems and decided to reboot his laptop from the boot disks, but his laptop is still not working right. We can't run any .exe files without getting an error message; I get the box that tells me to choose a program to run the file. Also, I can't connect to my wireless network- it keeps trying and failing.

Any advice?

Ahhh I am having the same problem only thing is my Internet is still available to me and seeking help with it so instead of creating another Topic like this whoever comes to help it would be much appreciated to help both of us.

Picture of Problem Attached
SERIOUS.jpg

Thanks in Advance.

Hello quinncx...

Are you able to open the Registry Editor either by: Click Start, then on Run, type regedit in the Open field and click "Ok".

Or...Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete at the same time to open Task Manager and click on the "New Task" button. Type regedit.exe in the Open field and press click "Ok".

Let me know if you are able to open the Registry Editor by either method.

wannabe1

I tried what you said and it poped up the window asking me what I want to use to open regedit.com such as in the picture Attached.

Edited by --Ryli--, 02 January 2008 - 01:28 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Task Manager and go to "New Task". In the Open field, type explorer.exe and press "Enter".

Does Windows Explorer open?

quinncx

quinncx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
wannabe1,
Neither regedit nor explorer opened from task manager, though Explorer does open when I click on the icon on the desktop.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
quinncx...

If you can open Windows Explorer, we should be able to get this one going.

In Explorer, open "My Computer", then "Windows", then "System32". Within the system32 folder, locate the icon for regedt32, right click on it, and choose "Open"...or double click on it.

Does Registry Editor open?

--Ryli--

--Ryli--

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Open Task Manager and go to "New Task". In the Open field, type explorer.exe and press "Enter".

Does Windows Explorer open?

Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del does not bring up my usual Task Manager, instead it brings up a window telling me it has been disabled by my Administrator......Which this account is set to.

quinncx

quinncx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
no, I still get the box asking me what program I want to use to open the file.

Ryli- Can you open a new topic with your problem? I'm afraid it is going to get too confusing to both be posting here. Thanks!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
--Ryli--...

Your problem is different...let's get your rig checked for malware. Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions found there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. Do not reply to or bump your own topic. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

Click Here to start a new topic and paste your log.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please start a new topic in this forum.

========================

quinncx...

Let's try another way to get to the Editor. Click Start, then Run, type command and press "Enter".

At the command prompt, type cd\windows and press "Enter". Type regedit and press "Enter".

Does Registry Editor open?

To close the command session, type exit and press "Enter".

quinncx

quinncx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
sorry for the delayed response wannabe- I had to go out for a few hours.

The registry editor opened that time- just let me know what to do next!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, locate and left click on .exe

In the right pane, what is the value shown under the Data column for the (Default) folder?

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows NT, then CurrentVersion, and left click on Winlogon.

In the right pane, scroll down to Shell. What is the value shown under the Data column for Shell?

quinncx

quinncx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, locate and left click on .exe

In the right pane, what is the value shown under the Data column for the (Default) folder? exefile

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows NT, then CurrentVersion, and left click on Winlogon.

In the right pane, scroll down to Shell. What is the value shown under the Data column for Shell? explorer.exe

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Those are the usual suspects, but both are correct.

Download the attached zip file and save it to your desktop.

In Registry Editor, in the left pane, click on My Computer (very top). Click "File" on the toolbar and select "Export". Save this to your "My Documents" folder...name it oldreg.

Right click on the downloaded zip file and choose "Extract All". Extract this to your desktop.

Double click on the extracted file (xp_exe_fix.reg) and accept the change when asked if you want to merge this with the registry.

Once this completes, reboot and see if you can run your executable files.

Attached File  xp_exe_fix.zip   745bytes   417 downloads

quinncx

quinncx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thank you! Thank You! THANK YOU! :)

Executables are running, the wireless network is connecting, and the system time is back to normal! My husband and I really appreciate all your help wannabe1!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are very welcome! :)

You can delete the oldreg file from your "My Documents" folder...it's no longer needed.