Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What does this error mean?

• Please log in to reply

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Whenever I reboot and click on the user name, I will get a message saying something close to "the procedure point could not be located in dynamic link library user32.dll" what exactly does this mean? Everything seems to work fine after the message.

Edited by Don'tcompute, 02 January 2008 - 01:59 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What was it my father used to say? Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades :)

Really need the exact message to be able to help.

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I found out the error says "Entry point IsThreadDesktopComposited could not be located in dynamic library user32.dll"

???

Also, if it helps, I think it has to do with O&O Defrag (first time I got the error) because when I open O&O Defrag, I get the error. So, I'm guessing the error shows on reboot because it has auto run on windows startup.

Edited by Don'tcompute, 03 January 2008 - 12:58 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I did a Google search on the complete error message and got quite a few hits. The first one HERE indicates this is caused by the presence of the file DWMAPI.DLL which was installed with IE7. I reverted to IE6, renamed the file and the error went away.

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Thanks.

I searched and found I do have the file, can it just be deleted? And I do have IE 7.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sorry but I don't know the answer to that question. I don't have or want IE7 so have no experience with it.

What you can do it rename it rather than delete it, or move it to a temp directory then see if IE7 continues to work okay and the error message goes away. I suspect it will not work or you will get different or additional errors.

Try it and post back with the results please.

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Okay, I'll try that.

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Well, I moved the file, no more error, everything seems to work fine (including IE)

Well, IE doesn't really matter anymore though (I still have IE 7) because I just installed FireFox, and I think I'll be using that now.

Thanks for the help.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That's good to know, thanks for posting back. This may help someone else in the future.

trebor33

trebor33

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Good morning mister Ztruker,
I write you since France where I have the same problem with Oodefrag (version 10) which points out to to-me the same error as Mister Don’tcompute.
The misfortune for me is that I have only the single PC and that I have IE7 installed. Therefore I cannot find the ancient version of dwmapi.dll in IE6.
Can point out to me where I could find dwmapi.dll of version IE6?

P.s. I also had the same problem by carrying out ' Registtryboosterdllscan2 ' program in the same way as Oodefrag.

Thanks for your help.
A big Good morning since France.
Excuse the style of this mail because it is prepared in English language by the program of translation @Promt7.8.
Trebor33

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Bonjour trebor33 (that is the extent of my French speaking ability unfortunately), welcome to G2G.

As I told Don'tcompute,

What you can do it rename it rather than delete it, or move it to a temp directory then see if IE7 continues to work okay and the error message goes away.

This worked for him and he DID NOT replace it with an older version from IE6. Try it and see if it works for you.

Kaylee Brown

Kaylee Brown

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
OK um.
my windows, Firefox, and various other applications are coming up with this error msg. i would fix by changing that ei7 or something but i dont know how to. do you think you could give me a walk through of how to fix it as ive had this problem for a while and its really bugging me.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: Kaylee Brown

Please start your own topic as this topic has not had a reply since Feb of 2008 over two years ago.
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 March 2010 - 02:21 PM.