Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bios problem, wrong cpu speed?

• Please log in to reply

carvolution

carvolution

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hi everyone,

i am new to this forum and after reading lots of threds on here, I am hoping that you clever people can help me!!!

I have a laptop that has just come back from repair and i have noticed that the speed of my processer has dropped from 2.2GHz to 800MHz???

this has happend before when it came back from repair, so i sent it back and they sorted it.
I phone the company today and they have told me that they have shut down and cant help me anymore, even though i still have a years warrenty left!

The machine i have is a rebranded MITAC 8317.
it has a amd mobile athlon 64 3400+
and the bios is made by INSYDE SOFTWARE

the trouble is i have gone into the bios and it only allows me to change the system time, hard drive etc. and it does not allow me to change the processor speed

and i can not find anything anywhere online to allow me to update the bios

please please can someone shed some light in this as i am pulling out the little amount of hair i have left !!!

Someone has possibley sujested that the bios could be locked? could this be right, and if so, how can i unlock it. Or is it something simple that i am over looking!

thanks in advance

Craig

Edited by carvolution, 02 January 2008 - 06:27 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Is there a option in your bios to "load defaults" or similar?

Look good it may not be listed under a tab but on he right and it will tell you to press a F XX button.

Also don't forget to save when you exit

carvolution

carvolution

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yes there is a "load defults" option and i have tried that but nothing happened?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Put some load on the system - something simple such as Scandisk or active Disk Defragmenter. Then check the processor speed again.
Most laptops by default will throttle their clock speeds depending on system demand.

carvolution

carvolution

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
all fixed now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

managed to get hold of a secret phone number to the makers of my laptop and they gave me a website address to get the latest bios

turns out that when it came back from repair, they fitted a brand new motherboard, but never updated the bios

so now running nice and fast at 2.2ghz

thanks to everyone that has given me input on what to try

cheers