Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

? buying new psu

• Please log in to reply

cameraqueen

cameraqueen

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
My HP - XP wouldn't start up one day, no light no noise. I gather I need a new psu. what do i need to know to buy one. The current one is a 350w. Also there is a small flashing green light on the back, does that mean anything?

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi and welcome to G2G!

Can you try and plug in a wire into the 24 pin mobo connector, connecting the green and one of the blacks? This will start the power supply which will help us know if its dead or alive. Here is a pic of what I mean:

Posted Image

Soorena

cameraqueen

cameraqueen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The fan did spin softly. was quiet.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
So if it turned on I'm guessing its not the PSU. When you press the power button in front of your case do the fans start and and then die right away? If so then your mobo is dead.

Soorena

cameraqueen

cameraqueen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I plugged it back in and together and it is working. Does this mean my psu has an attitude or was it a fluke.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
There was probably and error that needed to shut down the computer and then start it again.

Soorena

cameraqueen

cameraqueen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks a bunch

cameraqueen

cameraqueen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I turned off the computer to move it and it would not power up again so I did the thing with the wire and it is starting up. What next?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Push down or wiggle slightly on the 20 pin connector and push the power button, does it start?

I had a hp doing that, intermittent startup/power, turned out the psu was bad