Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fixing a Windows XP installation showing as Unpartitioned Space

• Please log in to reply

joden80

joden80

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
That could be possible... The files were stored from a NTFS to a FAT32 IPOD. Also, mp3s that were transferred over do play. So only certain files work...

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I raelly don't have an answer at the moment. it would be interesting to see the results of another recovery with another program. That will give us an idea if the problem is of general charachter or is related to the program you used.

When you try to open an office document, what message do you get?

joden80

joden80

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'll try another recovery program and see what it says.

The message I get is the one where it thinks its in another format (Not Western European) It wants you to tell it the original format.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Regarding the office documents, it looks as if the documents were converted to another encoding. It's very dificult for me to translate the instructions (my menus are in Hebrew) so please open Word, go to help > help of microsoft Word and search for Encoding. Choose the 7th item from the top and then the first item on the dialog box that opens. Follow the instuctions.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Just out of curiosity and a possible.
Can you view the entire file name including the .doc or .jpeg.
It could be that the IPOD added .mp3 to the file.
If that is the case, then rename the file, removing the .mp3 or whatever it stamped on there.

If you backup to the IPOD, make a separate folder for the backup files.
You probably did that, but I thought I'd mention it.

Edited by cmpm, 08 January 2008 - 08:40 AM.

joden80

joden80

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry for the long delay, but I figured that this would be an important piece of information.

The music files that I recovered are messed up as well. I think the file pointers were messed up. For example If I double click on a certain song IE Mozart it will play a completely different song about half way through the song IE Burt Bacharach. I believe this is why not images work because its pointing to half way through the image or to a completely different file. Any way to recover these?