Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LCD display thing, not sure what it's called

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I took my computer apart for a routine cleaning last night, but I also decided i'd move a fan to the front of the case, so I had to take apart my computer to an extent i've never done before.

Anyway, I have this LCD display thing on the front that display time, temperature and fan speeds. This is it (sorry about picture quality, my camera is out of batteries and that's the only picture I have).

I'm gonna provide links to a lot of pictures, because I have no idea how to explain a lot of this.

I had to take the front cover of my case off in order to screw in the fan, so I had to disconnect all the wires from the LCD. It all looked straight forward when I was doing it.

When I plugged everything back in I noticed that I had no idea what 3 of the cables were for. These ones. After looking at them for a bit longer I noticed that they had stickers on them, "HDD", "VGA" and "CPU". I figured that these must be for the temperatures, as those are the 3 things it display temperatures for. But They plug into the display on one end, and the other end is just a little red dot-like thing with some blue around it and I have no idea where it's meant to go.

urThat's not the worst part though. Even when I plugged everything back in (the 3 unknown cables plugged in, but the end I don't know about just not anywhere in particular) and turned the power on to check if everything was working, the LCD didn't start working at all. All my fans were going, my HDD was going, and my dvd drive opened and such, so it was working (it was even on the same power cable as the LCD).

I mainly want to figure out how to get it working again, then how to get the temperature things going.

Here is what i've got to work with.
The cables plugged into the LCD to begin with.

Back of the LCD. (Temp cables go in on the right I think, and the two power-like cables go in at the left).

motherboard and junk. (Cleared out all the cables so you could see better.)

Thanks for reading it all :)

~Seltox

Advertisements

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I decided to put my computer back together just now, and when I had plugged in all of the power, I turned it on to be sure everything was working (with the exception of the LCD, it was). After like 2-3 seconds I saw a little bit of smoke and then a burning smell, so naturally I turned the thing off [bleep] quick. Turns out it was the power cable plugged into the LCD thing. seems to have melted a bit. SO naturally I removed all of that, and tried again. Everything worked fine - so it must have been that cable only.

What would have caused this? Did I plug things back in wrong, or did I damage one of the wires when I was pulling out the cable in the first place or something?