Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help with creating a Website, Blog, or Forum

• Please log in to reply

phatjo911

phatjo911

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi guys, I have caught on to forums, and I find them very easy to use.
I want to make on of my own, but I am not very experienced in that field.
So is there any software or book that could help me?
I am particularly interested in books or if there is, a good how-to guide online. of course, I wouldn't mind software either.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Simple machines Forum Software
Johanna

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You also can get an open sourced forum at phpBB. Very easy to use.

Ron

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi, everyone

I have wanted to make a website for the past few months, but I am not sure I want to go ahead and purchase a domain

So, I thought maybe I could make a website on something like google pages

To you, would it be more attractive if I did a real domain or something like google pages? No difference?

Also, could I make a forum out of the google pages?

Thanks

gunner12

gunner12

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
If you're just starting out then I would go with Google pages or something free until you know what you are doing. Once your confident with your HTML skills then I would definitely get my own domain name and paid hosting.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
FreeWebs.com has a lot of fun stuff to get your site up and running while you gain experience.

Ron

The Matt

The Matt

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I believe I could help you here. If you want a website and you are not sure if you want to buy a website domain just yet. I would recommend starting off with Google Pages. You will get at least 100MB for space on Google Pages.

For the forums thing, I would recommend using PunBB. It is pretty basic but it is a forum and it is small in size. There are a lot of mods for PunBB that can be found on the PunBB website and on PunRes. I use PunBB myself and I haven't had any problems with it. I am recommending that you be careful with some of the modifications that you make with PunBB because it may mess up the whole forum.

If you have decide that you would like to buy a website domain, I would recommend using Geeks to Go Web Hosting. Geeks to Go Web Hosting offers Domain Registration and Website Hosting.

I hope I helped.

The Matt