Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cooling

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I'm planning to upgrade my computer to _much_ better parts soon, so i'm expecting the temperature in my case to rise quite a bit. It already sits about as high as it can with my still feel comfortable. (by the way, how hot should a case get generally? keeping in mind it's mid summer where I live). So i'm going to buy a whole heap of new fans (Currently running two case fans, CPU fan and the PSU fan).

Unfortunately one of my case fans died the other day, so i've only got one case fan right now, so i'm going to buy the fans now, instead of later.

My case can support 3 fans. a 120mm at the back, 120mm at the front, and 80mm on the side. I also want to get a fan too sit under my video card, providing this won't interrupt the airflow. Something like this.

Problem is that I don't really want to spend AUD$80-ish on fans :) (I will if I have to, don't worry about that!) so I thought i'd come here and see if you could guys could find any decent fans for a decent price (try to keep noise under 25dBA at least?). Need 1 80mm, 1 120mm (maybe two) and one to go in a PCI slot or something like that.

Blue, red or green lights I guess. Main theme for lights in my computer is blue :) My current running 120mm fan had blue, red and green lights, green really overpowers them though. I have a light on the front of my case which is blue, and my old 80mm on the side of the case had a blue light. Case itself is silver. And yes, I do want lights in the fans. I have a "fancy" case and it needs to be shown off like this!

Oh yeah, one more question about fans. I said earlier how one of my fans died, so I was only running one 120mm fan... When I took my case apart last night I noticed I could handle a fan at the front as well. Would it be better for cooling to run the 120mm at the front or back? I'm presuming back, as it can pickup the heat coming from the CPU fan then?.

And then, I found an old, noisy, loud 80mm fan. Would this be better on the side of the case, or at the front?

Thanks,

~Seltox

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If your willing on spending that much money on fans I suggest you spend a little more and get the Antec 900 case.
Generally speaking, if a fan has a LED in it, it's a sub par fan.
If you want lighting within your case I suggest buying some UV cathode tubes.
Don't buy any of those PCI coolers, they do not complete the kob efficiently.
James

Edited by james_8970, 03 January 2008 - 02:49 AM.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Problem here is that when I look at newegg, the case is $119. That's about AUD$135. Further problem is that I cannot find this case in ANY Australian stores (You can help me look if you want). AND anything to do with computers costs like 5% more in Australia coz 90% of the population have no idea! *grumbles*. Only place I can find it is on ebay for about AUD$180, which is almost USD$160.

Any other case suggestions?

EDIT: Oh man, you've got me hooked on that case. I really want it now. The sad fact is that I'd rather spend the money on a better processor though!

My computer overheats now playing Battlefield 2. I hafta open the case and stick a fan next to it whenever I play that game.

Edited by Seltox, 03 January 2008 - 06:22 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Antec 900 Case
Another Antec 900 Case

These were the first two sites I looked at, the second one includes postage in the price :)

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Bah, I never look at those sites :)

Don't ask me why - I just have my little favourites. They have good price and service, but not the greatest variety. Thanks. I'm seriously thinking about buying this case now :)

Pros/Cons anyone?

EDIT: With the PSU being at the bottom, Would you have turn your PSU over or something? anything special about having it mounted there?

...all those insane fans, how much dust would be getting drawn into this thing?

I remember seeing these at the eGames and Entertainment expo. They were running all day with Crysis - Cooling must really be intense :)

Edited by Seltox, 04 January 2008 - 01:17 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I have the case.

The good
Great airflow
Decent fans
Easily interchangeable 5.25" and 3.5" drive bays

The bad
Poor cable management
Not modder friendly
Collects dust a bit more then other cases

James

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
My cable management is kinda pathetic in my current case, so it doesn't bother me. I don't really 'mod' my cases or anything. I just put the parts in it and am happy. AND I really, really don't mind taking my computer apart to clean it. I take mine apart quite a bit as is.

I think i'm gonna order the Antec 900 in the coming week :)

Just a little question on cleaning. My dad is a mechanic, and he has like compressed air in a can type of things that I could have. Would this be good for cleaning out, or should I do it all by hand? I can fit a nozzle to the can or something to direct the air a lot better if need be.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Compressed air in a can is a good idea, they should already have a nozzle on each bottle. If you wish to use a compressor, though, this is not a good idea as they cause condensation - you don't want to be throwing any amount of water into your computer, no matter how minimal :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Just a little question on cleaning. My dad is a mechanic, and he has like compressed air in a can type of things that I could have. Would this be good for cleaning out, or should I do it all by hand? I can fit a nozzle to the can or something to direct the air a lot better if need be.

Yes, just be sure not to tip it upside down, otherwise a very cold liquide will come out of the can. This could leave contaminants on your PCB and cause a short circuit when you turn your PC on.
James

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I just ordered the Antec 900 from www.pccasegear.com.au Because they have a $10 flat rate shipping cost to my state :)

I'll be sure to let you all know how I go with it... Now I'm gonna go call one of my friends and try to sell him the case I have now :)