Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEED RAM ADVICE PLEASE!

• Please log in to reply

meridian1976

meridian1976

• Pip
  • 2 posts
New here...hoping to figure out what's wrong. I currently am running 1GB Dual Channel Corsair DDR2 Ram on an Asus M2N4-SLI. I recently purchased 4GB of Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 DDR2-800. I powered down and replaced the old RAM with the new, powered the machine up and all I got was a beeping noise. I have checked my MOBO manual and Crucial's compatibility website and the RAM that I have purchased SHOULD be compatible with my MOBO. I do not understand what the problem could be since it is pretty straightforward installing RAM. Can anyone help? If you need more info let me know.

Advertisements

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
First thing I would do is to make sure it is seated firmly into place. Make sure all the contacts are still ok too.

meridian1976

meridian1976

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yip...checked all contacts and they look great (and should too with new RAM)...just tried to put them in again and same thing, Really made sure they were seated properly. The machine doesn't even power up. I get a beep error message: one long, two short. From what I have seen that is an error for video card but when I swap out the old RAM with my existing Corsair RAM it works perfectly. Thx for reply...keep helping. This is frustrating.

Edited by meridian1976, 02 January 2008 - 08:27 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Try the sticks one at a time to make sure none of them are dead.

Soorena

EDIT: By the way WELCOME TO G2G!!!!!

Edited by SOORENA, 02 January 2008 - 10:01 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Boot up with one of the two kits. Some motherboards are extremely fussy with all four slots being full.
Once you can boot up with one of the two kits to straight to BIOS and up the VDIM to whatever is required for this memory type.
If you are unsure as to how to accomplish this, just let me know.
James