Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to install 3 Gigs of Ram in my computer

• Please log in to reply

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Hello all,

I have 2 extra RAM slots and I want to put 3 Gigs of Ram in my computer. Since I have a 32 bit OS I don't want 4 Gigs. Should I get 2 512 MB sticks or just one 1 gig stick?
I currently have 2 one Gig sticks in there. They are Samsung's. Should I try to get Samsung's again?

Thanks!

EDIT: I am running PC5300's DDR2 currently

Edited by Krusha, 02 January 2008 - 09:24 PM.

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
consult the manual for your motherboard. they usually will have a recommended layout for any memory situation. i know some motherboards are picky and want memory in pairs.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
I don't have the manual for the motherboard. I bought the computer from Office Depot(I was going to build one but this deal was hard to pass up). And all HP.com gave me was the Specifications on the motherboard. And the manufacturer's website doesn't have my Motherboard listed. I was leaning toward getting 2 512's.