Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NO MONITOR DISPLAY AT ALL, TRIED EVERYTHING I KNOW

• Please log in to reply

hobbs07

hobbs07

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a friend's Gateway Model#GT4015E computer. It has onboard video but it now does not have any display at all! I have tried it on one of my regular CRT's and it reads "out of scan range." On my LCD it shows "no signal". The computer appears to be passing POST and there appears to be cpu and hard drive activity based on the HD LED activity light and the computer sounds as if it is booting up fine...there is just no display...ever!! I have tried installing a known good pci-e video card but the monitor acts as if there is no display at all....like there is no signal. I think this may be because the motherboard isn't configured to send video to the secondary video card but I do not know how to disable the onboard video as I do not see any jumpers that indicate this function. I have tried pressing f8 to see if it would bring up the safe mode prompt but again...nothing! I know a decent bit about computers but this one has me stumped...please help anyone!!! By the way the MB is a C51GU01.

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
i don't know if you have tried this, but just the basics... unplug pc, pull bios battery, reseat memory and ATX power connector. replace bios battery. if you still have the PCI-E video card installed, be sure it has power connected if it requires it. make sure the power supply you have provides adequate amperage for the video card. plug it in, and give it another shot. you can also try switching the jumper on the motherboard to put the bios into "maintenance mode". theres probably only one jumper, and it probably says CMOS or BIOS near it, and should be near the battery.

hobbs07

hobbs07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have tried resetting the bios by using the jumper and by pulling the battery. Also tried unplugging and reseating memory and power supply as you suggested...no help. The jumper for the bios has two settings 1-2 reset bios and 2-3 normal. By the way during power on, the led on the monitor constantly switches from amber to green and back and forth repetitively.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
i would connect as little as possible to your motherboard, unplug all drives (even your hard drive) remove expansion cards, just connect power to motherboard and test it then. see if it posts. use as little memory as possible. one of your sticks may be bad. do you have a known good one you can use from a friend perhaps? if your memory is good, and your on board video is shot, and adding another video card doesn't do the trick, it's probably your motherboard is bad. or the processor. at this point it comes in handy to have spare parts to test with to be sure.

hobbs07

hobbs07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I disconnected everything except processor and 1 stick of good memory. The computer gives one single short beep like usual and thats it...still no display.

VI Hurricane

VI Hurricane

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Did you ever find a way to solve your problem? I'm having the same problem now. I have a C51U01G and I'm trying to disable the onboard video pretty much blind. I have no video coming out of the onboard video and no video coming out of the new video card that I purchased. Any help you can provide would be great.

GinglesBingo

GinglesBingo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have a friend's Gateway Model#GT4015E computer. It has onboard video but it now does not have any display at all! I have tried it on one of my regular CRT's and it reads "out of scan range." On my LCD it shows "no signal". The computer appears to be passing POST and there appears to be cpu and hard drive activity based on the HD LED activity light and the computer sounds as if it is booting up fine...there is just no display...ever!! I have tried installing a known good pci-e video card but the monitor acts as if there is no display at all....like there is no signal. I think this may be because the motherboard isn't configured to send video to the secondary video card but I do not know how to disable the onboard video as I do not see any jumpers that indicate this function. I have tried pressing f8 to see if it would bring up the safe mode prompt but again...nothing! I know a decent bit about computers but this one has me stumped...please help anyone!!! By the way the MB is a C51GU01.

====================================================
====================================================

Try starting the computer and press F5 repeatedly until you get a menu up. Select Safe Mode. When Safe Mode has loaded, a message will pop up warning you not to go into dos/command line mode, click ok. When the windows desktop appears, right click on a blank of the desktop. Left click on Properties. Click on the Settings Tab at the top right. set your Screen Resolution to 1024 X 768. Click OK. Restart your computer - this fixes the problem 99% of the time. You or a program has change this to a setting higher than the CRT or LCD can handle.

Some systems you have to go into the bios settings and disable the onboard video card manually.

Good Luck

Edited by GinglesBingo, 06 June 2008 - 11:12 PM.