Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

AGP video card not recognized

• Please log in to reply

Exemy

Exemy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
OK I just tried to update my video card from Intel onboard to AGP 8x. I have tried two times and both times my computer is not recognizing that their is a card in the AGP slot. I have updated my BIOS, Chipset drivers and made sure PCI slot was selected for video in BIOS - but nothing has worked. I noticed that in Control Panel/System/Device Manager/System Devices there is no mention of an AGP driver. In a search of my MoBo website I can not find anything about an AGP driver. I am at my wits end searching the manuals and internet to find solutions to try....

Anybody have any idea on what I can do?

My Computer (custom built about 1.5 years old)
MoBo: ECS 865-M7 ver2.0, includes on AGP express and 3 PCI slots
CPU: P4 3.0Ghz
Ram: 1Gb
Monitor: VGA plug
500 Watt power supply

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
If it is an AGP card you should have AGP selected for video in the BIOS, not PCI.

Exemy

Exemy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry, I didn't explain it better. I have tried both the AGP and PCI options in BIOS. The BIOS has two settings, an "Onboard/AGP" and the other "PCI Slot." No matter what option I have selected the onboard video tries to reinstall itself. I can completely delete/uninstall all drivers for the onboard graphics card, restart the computer with the monitor plugged into the new card and wait until the computer restarts. The whole time the monitor will be on and in its "no input received" status. After several minutes of nothing, I will replug the monitor into the onboard card and can immediately recheck the device manager and see that the onboard card has already been reinstalled! No recognition is given to the card in the AGP slot.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

This is a slightly strange one because you have an AGP Express slot (ECS design to emulate AGP) and not a standard AGP slot. After trawling ECS's incredibly slow website, I have come up with 2 possible reasons for your problem.

1. The AGP card is simply not compatible (see the list of compatible cards listed on ECS's website or in the motherboard manual)

OR (and more likely...):

2. According to the manual, if the on-board video driver has already been installed prior to installing the AGP card (which is true in your case), then the system will automatically use the on-board video as the primary adapter, not the AGP one.
To get round this, ECS advise that you remove the on-board video driver first, before physically installing the AGP card. Once removed, you can install the AGP card, then install the AGP card driver in windows. DO NOT allow the system to reinstall the onboard video driver. To uninstall the onboard video, try looking in Add/Remove Programs for the Intel Video driver - if it's in there, then simply remove it that way.

Interestingly, ECS do state that if two monitors are connected (ie one to each video card) then the AGP card will automatically be set as the default.

Exemy

Exemy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the reply Samm. I believe I did everything that you mentioned in #2 of your post. Here is exactly what I did when I tried to install this video card.

1. Went into Add/Remove programs and removed all references to Intel Graphics.
2. Removed the Driver for the onboard graphics card in Device Manager.
3. Shut down the computer and powered off the monitor.
4. Installed the AGP video card in the AGP Express slot and hooked up the 6 pin PCI-E power from teh PSU.
5. Plugged the monitor into the new video card.
6. Turned on the Monitor and then turned on the computer.
7. Waited and nothing came up on the monitor.
8. Eventually plugged the monitor into the onboard card.
9. Immediately checked Device Manager and found that the Intel graphics card was listed under Display.

Repeated process 10+ times with BIOS - "INIT Display" option changed from Onboard/AGP to PCI Slot and back again. Each and every time the onboard graphics card seems to take precedence. In my Internet searching one article mentioned to make sure the AGP driver was listed under System Devices in Device Manager, when I look at mine there is no direct mention of an AGP driver. ECS website does not have a specific AGP driver listed to download...

I think that either my AGP slot is broken, It needs an AGP driver - for which I can not find or like you mentioned the card is not compatible.

Thanks for the help, I will try a few more times tonight and then most likely return everything or convince myself to build a new computer. The reason I am trying to get an AGP video card to work on my computer is to get a game to work for my kids that they got for Christmas. (Who am I kidding - I brought it specifically for them so I can play it also...)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I'm a bit confused about the reference you made to the PCI-E power. What exactly are you plugging the 6 pin PCI-E power connector in to?

Also, can you tell me exactly what the AGP card is please? (i.e Make & Model)

Exemy

Exemy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The 6 pin connector is from the PSU into the graphics card. The card is the VisionTek Radeon HD 2600 Pro.

Retried everything again today and still get the same results. I think I will just give it up and get a PCI card.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Have you tested the card on another system just to make sure it's not the card thats faulty?

Exemy

Exemy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have not tried the card in another system as the only other computers available to test it do not have AGP slots. I have tried tried two AGP cards (the other AGP card was an older one) in this computer and neither work so I do not think its just the video card.

Thanks for the help with this issue. I am resigned to the fact that an AGP card will never work on this computer so I either have to go with a PCI card or get a new computer. I always wanted to build one myself so I think this is telling me to give it a try.

Again thanks for the help.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're very welcome. Sorry we couldn't resolve your problem :)

RickNW

RickNW

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am also having an identical problem with the same card. Saw something somewhere about having to hack the driver .ini file in order to make this work. Trying to find more on that now :)