Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bios does not match my software build

• Please log in to reply

Dan1970

Dan1970

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I upgrade my origal bios with a recommended one (not from here), it worked good until I had to perform a factory recovery. When I tried to perform recovery, it said that the disk does not match the build. I figured I had a problem after I put that new bios on because my screen went from saying HP to Compaq. I don't even know what information to give you in order to get the information that I need. Here is the information I think you may need.

Motherboard: Asus Motherboard Name: A8AE-LE HP motherboard name: AmberineM-GL6E
Processor: Athlon 64 X2 (T) 4200+ 2.2 GHz, 2000 MT/s, Socket 939
Chipset: ATI Radeon Xpress 200

Any help or suggestion would be appreciate. Thanks in advance! :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Was it an official BIOS from HP/Compaq that you used, an official BIOS from the people who made the board for HP/Compaq, or a third-party one?
Recovery CDs are designed only to function with the systems they came with, and the best way to do this is to tie it to the BIOS.

Dan1970

Dan1970

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It was a third party bios. I believe in the end, it end up being to another machine. But I did upgrade back to my bios. The problem too was that even though I did update to the bios at hp that was assigned to my machine, it did not remove the compaq image that I see on startup. I fear that I have to send it back to the company and pay them $300.00 to repair the bios since my hard disk is completely formated. :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can also take it to a local shop and have them flash the bios for you...shouldn't cost much and will be much cheaper and faster than shipping it back...

Dan1970

Dan1970

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried calling a shop yesterday. It seemed like a real reputable shop. Friends have had work there. Keep in mind, that my system does not have an operating system on it right now. I formated it so I could put the factory install on there. I thought I would make sure it was applied on a clean format. People have told me that they can not flash the bios in DOS, is that true. I appreciate your advice. Thank you in advance.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Course you can flash the BIOS in DOS, that's all that happens when you boot off a floppy disk.
With all due respect, please stop listening to other people because you will get copious conflicting information. Listen to the people in the computer shop - if they didn't know what they were doing they wouldn't be working there.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
there are two ways to install a bios flash (update). One is via the traditional floppy disk and the other is through Windows.

If I had the exact model of you hp, then I could look up the specifics for you.