Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HD - really slow at bootup

• Please log in to reply

Ali_cat

Ali_cat

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi
I am working on a HP Compaq D510s desktop, with a 20GB HD and 1GB RAM. I have reimaged this machine twice with 2 separate images, one starting from scratch, building from the XP CD. It has the latest drivers, and updates including SP2.
Everything seems to go well, I add windows updates, and necessary programs needed. Then after a restart...and this has happened both times, it takes over a minute or so just to get to the login screen. Then once logged in, it's REALLY SLOW going in between files/folders.
Sometimes, I just can't wait around for it to boot up, it shows the Windows XP splash screen, then is black for awhile until the login screen appears. I've tried a different video card, that's not it. I did receive one error on the first time about the Controller, but then I never saw it again. This last time, no errors appeared, but takes forever to boot.
Could this be the HD? Or something else on the board itself?
Please help! Have tried everything I can think of.
Thanks,
Ali_Cat

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Go to Device Manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, Double click IDE Primary Channel, click Advanced Settings and write down what you see in Current Transfer Mode. Repeat the procedure for Secondary IDE Channel. If the transfer mode is PIO then uninstall the drivers and reboot.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have found that the "compaq connections" software can slow some computers down quite a lot. You could try looking in msconfig( start/run, type in msconfig) to see what you have running in the background all the time. You can try looking up the programs on the net to see if they are really necessary and if not uncheck them in msconfig, to see if it will speed the computer up. You may have to know how to gert to safe mode to undo what you have done. F8 key at startup usually will give you the option of getting into safe mode, or the last known good configuration. Once i used a newegg bought oem CD to reinstall Xp on a compaq desktop and it speeded up the computer quite a bit. H-P insists on installing their own software on their computers and that usually does slow them down. My Compaq Presario SR 2011WM 3.2 computer is still taking its time to start up, taking a average of 2 minutes to boot up. This is the reason i started building my own computers years ago. I got tired of buying built-in slow hardware and operating system add-in software that the manufacturers have decided you cannot do without. Recently the prices lured me into buying factory computers , but i have now , again, started building my own computers. The compaq EVO computers i have owned were some of the slowest computers i have delt with the last few years. I had a pentium 700 and a pentium 1.8 that were both slow.

SRX660

Ali_cat

Ali_cat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
For the Primary IDE Channel - Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 5
Secondary IDE Channel - Ultra DMA Mode 2

Ali_cat

Ali_cat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I just reimaged the machine, so really there isn't very much on the pc. I couldn't find any HP software, such as the "compaq connections" as you listed above. Sorry!
I booted it up with out any issues at my office, but back in the classroom it's slower than molasses....(I work at a high school)...
Could it be a cable issue?

Ali_cat

Ali_cat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I think I figured it out.
It was working fine from my desk, so I took it back to the classroom. With a new network cable, and plugged it in.
Also, I received an error about the date/time being off in the BIOS. I changed this and saved it.
Then rebooted, it definitely booted a lot faster.
Not too sure if that's what caused the slowness.
However it is working.
Thanks for your help.
:)