Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezing

• Please log in to reply

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Hi there.

For the past few months my computer (with windows XP) has started freezing at least once almost everyday. Sometimes it happens when I'm not even on it. I've run CHKDSK but that doesn't help and according to the eventlog there are no problems with the PC. Apart from this problem there seems to be nothing else wrong with my computer. I'd like to know what I can do to find out what's causing this?

Many thanks.

Edited by ira_gaines, 03 January 2008 - 12:05 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
There can be many causes for the freeze. Is there anything that you can link with the freeze, such as a particular application that is running, or anything else? Random problems are the most difficult to pinpoint.

I would start with a memory test. Download Microsoft memory diagnostic tool from the link in my signature and create a bootable cd. Boot the computer with the cd in the drive (make sure the drive is set in the BIOS to be first boot priority device) and run the test. Since the problem is not very frequent let the test run overnight and report if there are any errors.

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

There can be many causes for the freeze. Is there anything that you can link with the freeze, such as a particular application that is running, or anything else? Random problems are the most difficult to pinpoint.

I can't think of anything specifically. It's actually happened three times today. Once was while my account was loading up after I had restarted my computer because it had already frozen. The only programme on then was Norton Anti-Virus.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please run the memory test and we'll continue from there.

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

I would start with a memory test. Download Microsoft memory diagnostic tool from the link in my signature and create a bootable cd. Boot the computer with the cd in the drive (make sure the drive is set in the BIOS to be first boot priority device) and run the test. Since the problem is not very frequent let the test run overnight and report if there are any errors.

Before I do it can I ask how long is it likely to take and how do I boot the computer in the way you've described?

Many thanks.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Read the information on the MS site then post back if you still have questions.

http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Okay I've managed to run the test overnight now and it didn't find any errors.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please download Sandra XII from the link in my signature. Install, run it, and create a report according to the instructions below. Please note that if you run XP 64 you need a different version of Sandra then when using XP 32.

How to create a Sandra XII report:

Important Note: Sandra, like all computer test programs, stresses computer components beyond the average use. This is necessary to discover weaknesses in the system. On the other hand, if the system is in a marginal state a permanent failure of components may occur . Before running the program make sure to save any important data.

Click on Tools and then on Create Report. Follow the instructions and when given the option uncheck everything which you do not need to test (test only the hardware). Choose a place in which to save the report. The report can be very long and complex so do not attach it to your post unless specifically asked to do so.

Run the program. The test is quite long. On my computer testing the hardware takes about 40 minutes. At the top right hand corner there is an idicator that shows that the test is running. At the end look at the report on the screen and report only items which did not pass the test successfully (if there are any).

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Please download Sandra XII from the link in my signature. Install, run it, and create a report according to the instructions below. Please note that if you run XP 64 you need a different version of Sandra then when using XP 32.

Is that in reference to the components you can select while installing it? I ask because some of them have 64 in their name such as "Windows 64-bit IA64/Itanium".

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download from this link. Sandra will check your system and provide you with the correct version. It's only when you use Sandra to another computer (not the one that you downloaded with) that you have to match the correct version of Sandra to the operating system.

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

At the end look at the report on the screen and report only items which did not pass the test successfully (if there are any).

Are you referring to the programme box that does the test or the saved file that has the report data?