Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help buying a laptop

• Please log in to reply

tomj25

tomj25

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
hi all i looking to buy my lad a new laptop to help in his last year a school can anyone offer any advice on best one to choose as i havet a clue what to look for theres so many !!! , ive seen a few i like the look of and have pasted specs below thanks tom

samsung r60 Dual Core
Intel Pentium Dual Core T2310 processor. 1Gb RAM. 80Gb Hard Drive. DVD Supermulti. WiFi. 15.4" Display. ATI Graphics. Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

samsung R60 celeron M530
Intel Celeron M530 Processor. 512Mb RAM. 80Gb Hard Drive. 15.4" WXGA Display. DVD Supermulti. ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 Graphics. 3x USB 2 in 1 Slot. Windows Vista Home Basic

hi-grade Core Duo T2350 laptop with Vista software
Open Office sofware
Mid-range. 1.86Ghz, 2Mb cache. 1Gb DDR RAM. 80Gb hard drive. 15.4in TFT widescreen colour display. DVD-RW/CD-RW/DVD/CD drive allows files to be saved on DVD. Integrated graphics. Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic. Integrated WiFi. External VGA monitor port, 3x USB2 ports, audio out, mic in

hi-grade Core Duo T2080 laptop in black with 15.4in display and Vista software
This features a 15.4in widescreen display and a faster, energy-efficient dual core processor great when you have two tasks on the go.
Standard range. (see More Info).
Intel Core Duo T2080 (1.73GHz) processor. 1024Mb DDR RAM. 80Gb hard drive. 15.4in TFT widescreen colour display. DVD-RW/CD-RW/DVD/CD drive allows files to be saved to DVD. Integrated Graphics. Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic. Integrated WiFi. External VGA monitor port, 3x USB 2 ports, audio-out, mic-in. Open Office suite

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
If you aren't buying a Dell, go buy an Acer.

You gave some specs for the machines, so are we to assume that price does not matter? Are you looking to get the most bang-for-your-buck? Service and maintenance (warranty) a concern?

Gotta give some more information!

tomj25

tomj25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
hi price im lookin at around £600 , suppose the more bang-for-my-buck the better? Service and maintenance warranty are not a concern , i take it the ones i have listed are no good ? have looked at these acer as well , thing is im limited to range as im lookin to purchase for littlewoods cat as funds are a bit low after xmas

Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 processor. 2048Mb RAM. 120Gb hard drive. 15.4in CrystalBrite display. DVD Supermulti. Shared graphics up to 128Mb. Microsoft Window Vista Premium. 6-cell battery, 5-in-1 card reader. WiFi. Intel Core Duo T5500 processor

Pentium Dual Core T2330 laptop with 15.4in display, memory upgrade, webcam and Vista software
Intel Pentium Dual Core T2330 processor. 2048Mb RAM. 120Gb hard drive. DVD super multi drive. Shared graphics. 6 cell battery. WiFi. Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium. Integrated 0.3Mp CrystalEye webcam

AS5051AWXMi" AMD Turion 64 laptop
AMD Turion 64 Mobile processor MK-36. 1024Mb RAM (2x 512Mb). 80Gb Hard Drive. 14.1-in WXGAG TFT display. DVD-RW. ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 integrated graphics. 5-in-1 card reader. Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium. 3 x USB 2.0 ports. S-Video. TV-out

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Where are you finding these laptops and what are the prices?
For me I'd say the Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 processor from all the ones you have listed above.
The processor is Core 2 Duo which is very good for multi-tasking, I always think that the higher the number (the T5500) the better (don't quote me on this though since I have no facts to back this up), also the RAM is 2GB which is what I'd recommend you should have when using Windows Vista. The Hard drive capacity is pretty standard for 120GB, I have seen higher ones but those might cost a little more. You can always buy an external hard drive if you need more space. Also the higher number of cell for the battery, the longer the battery life, 6 might be a little low since I have seen ones that are 8 or 12.

Kamille

tomj25

tomj25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
hi they are all on the www.littlewoods.co.uk site if you would like to have a look and let me know which you think offers best value as said looking at £600
regards
tom

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
I've looked around that site and they have some old laptops, I can't seem to find the Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 processor (that you have posted) in your price range. I suggest searching around online stores.
Things to look for:
RAM = Ensure there's about 2GB of RAM especially if using Vista since it uses a lot of memory.
OS = Most computers now comes with Vista but do not get one with Basic because it does not have any features that justifies its price. Go with Premium, Ultimate is out of the price range.
Processor = As I've said before, the Intel Core 2 Duo is a good one and beats the Pentium 4 & D. Do not mistake this with Core Duo (this is the same as Pentium D). I don't know anything about AMD processors so I can't comment on that.
Hard drive = Get something with 120GB or more.
Video Card = Usually called Graphics card and try to find one that says NVIDIA or ATI. If it says Intel then its onboard video meaning you can't play games in high resolution with it.

But if you're going to buy it only at that store, I'd still go with the one I suggested before.

Kamille

tomj25

tomj25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
hi thats strange it is there at £599 , sorry to be a pain just want to make sure i buy a good one , if you go to www.littlewoods.co.uk and in search option on that screen type laptop it should find 15 pages of laptops many thanks again

tom

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
From all the laptops on that site that is in your price range, you should go with what I have suggested before (Acer Core 2 Duo T5500 laptop with memory upgrade and Vista software), this laptop basically have most of the things to look for in a laptop. Considering all of laptops listed comes with Vista, only this one comes with 2GB though it only comes with Vista Home Basic. So that means no Aero effects, refer to this page for the Vista comparison -> Compare Editions. You can always upgrade it to Vista Premium later on if you'd like, price is £179.

I also found this other laptop, Toshiba U300 Centrino Duo 2 T5450 13.3in Laptop but it has a smaller screen size and I'm not totally sure what this one means "1024Mb DDR2 RAM + 1024Mb Turbo Memory" if you're going with this, ask if this means it has 2GB. This one also comes with Vista Premium.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: There are other sites that was mentioned in other posts, like http://www.pcworld.co.uk, http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk and http://www.currys.co.uk

Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 04 January 2008 - 04:28 PM.