Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suspect Real Player of crashing system

• Please log in to reply

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I recently allowed real player to update itself. I generally don't like the program and have seldom really needed to use it. Now, since the update to the new version I have had two "general error" occur that produced the blue screen of death. The second one was during a video clip playback. I don't remember what was going on at the time the first BSD occurred. I attempted to delete Realplayer using the Add/Remove software function in control panel (XP home SP2). As always it said it could not remove all of the files. In looking at the real folder remaining on the drive there is still 14MB in the folder. How do I get COMPLETELY rid of Realplayer from my system?

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Does the BSOD still happen? If it does, please let me know.

Also, to completely remove RealPlayer, follow these steps:

1.) Navigate to C:\Program Files\RealPlayer\ (or whereever you installed RealPlayer)
2.) Try deleting the whole folder. If it doesn't work, delete files manually, one by one, or subfolders, one by one. If it doesn't work, post back.
3.) Download CCleaner.
4.) Open CCleaner and go to the Registry tab.
5.) Select 'Scan for Issues' and when it's done, select 'Fix selected issues...'.

Be sure to make a backup to your registry before using CCleaner. If you are not sure of how to do so, please post back, and DO NOT do the CCleaner steps yet.

~Kelvin