Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Automatic Restart Dialogue box wont go away

• Please log in to reply

tnahman

tnahman

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am running Windows XP Pro 2002, SP2
Dell Latitude D600

My automatic updates is configured so that I am prompted before anything is updated and installed. After the most recent Security Update for Windows (12/12/07 I believe), the Automatic Update Restart dialogue popped up. I restarted my computer, but the dialogue box continued to pop up no matter how many times I restarted. I cannot get it to go away. After lots of research, I have tried the following to no avail:

Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc -> Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> Re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations.

Also:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"RebootRelaunchTimeoutEnabled"=dword:00000000
"NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001

Also:

Run -> regedit -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update
Delete the RebootRequired sub-key

Also:
Run -> cmd -> 'sc stop wuauserv'

This last one actually makes the dialogue box disappear, but once I shut down and boot up again the Restart Now/Later dialogue box reappears.

I also tried uninstalling the last updates through Add/Remove programs to see if reinstalling the update might fix the problem. However, once I did that and tried to do a force update (online through microsoft update), it told me I had a previous update in progress and that my computer needed to be restarted before new updates could be installed. It gave me the following:

[Error number: 0x8DDD0007]
You need to restart your computer to finish installing a program or updates. You cannot view or get other updates from the site until you restart.
Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number 0x8DDD0007) yourself.

The steps it gives me to resolve this problem is to 1) Restart. Yes, did that, 50 times and it keeps telling me to restart again. 2) Delete the RebootRequired sub key (see above).

Both of these solutions do not work. After I delete that subkey and then restart, the prompt box reappears as does the subkey in the registry. So it seems I'm stuck in some cycle that I can't get out of.

This means that I am also blocked out of any new updates until I get this box to go away. This also means that some suggestions (from other posts) to just drag the box down to the corner of my screen and ignore it isn't a good solution.

This is quite possibly the most annoying thing ever and I would appreciate ANY help or suggestions that people have.

thanks!

UPDATE 5:09 pm
I disable both Spybot and Symantec realtime protection, deleted the RebootRequired subkey, emptied the Software Distribution folder, ran disk clean up, restarted and the restart now/later dialogue box STILL reappears. Also uninstalled all security hotfixes from Windows dated 12/12/07 and tried to do an update through Windows Update and it tells me that I have to finish installing updates for them to take effect (same as above).

*SIGH*

Edited by tnahman, 03 January 2008 - 04:12 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How about doing a System Restore to before the last updates were applied?

tnahman

tnahman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No system restore points available for the time period in which all was working correctly...

used

used

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have the same [bleep] problem! Happened maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago, and Ive tried EVERYTHING youve done to no avail. I tried the restore point thing, no help. Ive tried several "reset registry permissions" type scripts. Ive deleted all of the system32\wua-type-files and ,both, let XP re-write them, and reinstalled the AU installer from MS. Ive deleted that RebootRequired key more than I can count, tried the AU webpage, disk cleanup, MS regclean, closed all apps, delete software distribution, everything! No help. Currently I just stop the Updater service and live with it.

If anyone has ANY help, I would LOOOVE to hear it. Im going nuts here!
used

tnahman

tnahman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Update: 1/14/08

Recently tried the following:

Try to repair the updates engine:

Please copy and paste the following into a Notepad and safe as Reg.bat on
your Desktop then double click the Reg.bat to execute it and click "YES" to
register the Required DLLs for the windows updates engine.

regsvr32 Msxml.dll
regsvr32 Msxml2.dll
regsvr32 atl.dll
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 inetcomm.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll
regsvr32 MSXML3.dll
regsvr32 cryptsvc.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 qmgr.dll
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
net start wuauserv

During this process I got the following error:

"cryptsvc.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. The file cannot be registered"

used

used

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I got the same thing:

"cryptsvc.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. The file cannot be registered"

Everything else was sucessful. At least I have something new to go off of.

used

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Dial-a-Fix is an advanced utility for 32-bit versions of Microsoft Windows written by DjLizard in Borland Delphi 7 that repairs various Windows problems, such as:
  • Windows Update, Windows Installer, Automatic Updates, etc.
  • SSL, HTTPS, and Cryptography service (signing/verification) issues
  • COM/ActiveX object errors and missing registry entries
  • and more.

Give it a try.

used

used

• Pip
  • 5 posts
@tnahman
Is your Program Files\Automatic Updates directory empty? I didnt have a V4 folder, a iuhist.xml file, nothing.

I also looked in the updates log file and theres a whole bunch of mess in there. It says that "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - January 2008 (KB890830)" is downloaded but pending installation, thus cancelling the update. I dont know how it knows this since theres nothing in the Automatic Updates folder.

used

used

used

• Pip
  • 5 posts
@ZTruker
Nope, nogo. It looked promising but the little yellow shield is still telling me that my machine has not been restarted since updating. I tried all options checked 'cept ActiveX and DirectX.

Thx for the help.
used

tnahman

tnahman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Tried the Dial-a-fix... didn't work. I had high hopes! It actually made the restart dialogue box go away, but it came back after I had finished registering all the dll's.

Seriously driving me insane...

used

used

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I recently had the same issue as outlined in this thread. During my troubleshooting i found many forums and pages pointing to the registry keys noted above but none to the registry key that eventually remedied my issue. I called Microsoft and was pointed here:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\UpdateExeVolatile]
"Flags"=dword:00000003

and

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\UpdateExeVolatile_01C60B4A7471BAAB]
"Flags"=dword:00000002

After changing the above keys to "0" I was able to install SP2 and updates successfully.

I wanted to put this out there because during our search i saw no reference to these keys.

Hope it helps...

b

THIS FINALLY FIXED ME! EIGHT MONTHS! THIS WAS THE ANSWER!!!

used