Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Get around!

• Please log in to reply

--Ryli--

--Ryli--

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok I found the problem to my problem from the Microsoft Site HERE but I keep getting a problem that I might have disabled during the time when I tried to optimize my Windows XP so please help. I get a error box that says Registry Editor then below it says Registry editing has been disabled by your administrator. Please Professional help is needed I am so close to fixing something that has taken me days to fix. Wish I could take a screenshot to show the new problem but not even that works....

My original problem is listed below.

]I recently out of the blue after a reboot started having a problem with my programs and more. The problem is (I think) any .EXE I try to run or applications I get a window that pops up asking me which program I would like to open the PROGRAM-NAME.EXE, if I choose a program to open it with it opens the program I choose instead. I can run .EXE files but I have to browse for them when the window pops up. I had atteped an Upgrade Installation to try to restore things but that did not help. Normal processes like rundll.exe are not in my processes list on startup!

http://i19.photobuck...txc/SERIOUS.jpg

Also I cant access my Task Manager it tells me that its been disable by Administrator which I am, and many of the ordinary start up Tasks I usually have arnt there being displayed. I dont think this is a Virus or Trojan Problem cause I think even after I remove them the settings wont be altered unless I change them. Also I can boot cd on Power On for some reason but I can run setup using windows xp cd.

PS lol I cant even open a simple NotePad..........

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello again --Ryli--...

I don't know that this will work in your circumstances or not, but stranger things have happened...give it a try.

Download the attached zip file and save it to your desktop.

In Registry Editor, in the left pane, click on My Computer (very top). Click "File" on the toolbar and select "Export". Save this to your "My Documents" folder...name it oldreg. (If Registry Editor won't open by normal means, try this: Click Start, then Run, type command and press "Enter". At the command prompt, type cd\windows and press "Enter". Type regedit and press "Enter"...To close the command session, type exit and press "Enter".)

Right click on the downloaded zip file and choose "Extract All". Extract this to your desktop.

Double click on the extracted file (xp_exe_fix.reg) and accept the change when asked if you want to merge this with the registry.

Once this completes, reboot and see if you can run your executable files.

Attached File  xp_exe_fix.zip   745bytes   84 downloads