Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My computer keeps shutting down

• Please log in to reply

Alaster

Alaster

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I don't know what information would help but when i turn on my computer, (usually in the mornings) it will just shut off on me. (the same happens when i leave it on for more than an hour at night). It's been this way for 2 or 3 months. any advice or suggestions are appreciated

I'm running Windows 2000
350 MHz
192 MB ram (i think)

One more thing:
when i start up my computer in bios it will say:
error with disk drive :A press F1 to continue. ( my floppy got unplugged)
any help please?

Advertisements

Alaster

Alaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Also, this usually happens in the mornings when i start up AIM 5.9 or MSN 7. And sometimes when i wait like 10 min after logging on, it STILL does it. Then later in the day it will work. and it will shut off anytime if i play somekind of flash video.My computer is pretty old ( maybe 10-12 years), but i can't afford a new one just yet. Thanks in advance.
(ram is one 128 card
and two 32 cards)

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
It could be a number of things, but the first thing to check is if it is clogged with dust, especially the cpu's heatsink.

Cleand using a can of compressed air, be carefull, do not tilt or lay the can on its side this can cause liquid to come out that can be harmful to computer parts

Alaster

Alaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
the cpu is the power unit right? : )

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
No its a aluminum fin block with a fan mounted on top, but some older compuers don't have fans on the heatsink and yours maybe one of them.

I can see you don't know alot about computer hardware and thats OK because we were all there once, so lets proceed with caution.

When you pull the cover off, how dusty is it inside?

Don't touch anything and don't do anything but look in there for a square block with fins. Is this clogged with dust?

Also with the computer case side off you can turn on the computer it won't hurt, does the computer still shut off.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
My first thought, as well, was that it maybe overheating due to a build up of dust/dirt.

CPU = Central Processing Unit

A good practice when opening the case is to first unplug the power cord and once it is unplugged push the Power On button to drain residual power.

Go buy a can of compressed air for computers and blow out the power supply, as well as the rest of the devices on the motherboard.