Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Pentium Duo wont boot

• Please log in to reply

2geek

2geek

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone,
my my Pentium Duo on Asrock 775 Dual VSTA wont boot, it's been OK for the past 9 months since I put it togather but in the last week it's been more and more difficult to boot up.
Now it completly wont boot up. It's got me stumped:
- I have substituted the psu so that's not the problem,
- I've swoped the vidio card with another so thats not the problem,
- I've disconected and dusted just about everything, still no boot,
- on the POST test - the 3 led's on the kybd lite on power on, but there is no 'beep' or other lites from the keyboard,
- I havent tested the memory yet,
- I had an autodect Back Door DKA trojan not long ago, that I could'nt get rid off, I dont know if that may be the cause?
I would be interested to hear of possible solutions.
Regards
2geek

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets make sure it's not a hardware issue by getting puppy linux...
get puppy linux...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd ...if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...
if you cant get puppy to load its a hardware issue...and we will have to start testing your hardware

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
so you are not passing POST at all? try resetting the bios either by pulling the battery or switching the jumper.