Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote Administration

• Please log in to reply

fstech

fstech

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Forgive me if I've posted this before, it's been hectic around here.

I'm looking for a new program to manage the network I'm running. We currently have Altiris 6.0 and it doesn't support Windows XP. Since I've started adding more Windows XP computers to the network I've noticed that although I can install Altiris on XP they will not always logoff or shut down until I manually exit Altiris. I know I could run out and purchase the newest version of Altiris, but at $7,000+ for just the software I want to search out other options. Based off the requirements below does anyone have any programs to suggest?

Needs support for Windows 2000, 2003, XP, and maybe Vista
Must be able to do the following:
-Remote control of desktops
-Remote deployment of an OS, preferably to many computers at once
-Remote deployment of new software, preferably to many computers at once
-Ability to schedule startup, shutdown, logoff

The only other program I've started looking into is RemoteScope. That was a few months ago and since the eval expired I can't do anymore evaluation until I get an extension from them.

Thanks for the help

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
spiceworks does a LOT for being free. http://www.spiceworks.com/

but if you can't find an all-in-one solution, and you don't mind doing a lot by hand, consider:

REMOTE DESKTOP: VNC server/viewer

OS DEPLOYMENT: combination of a tftp server and P.I.N.G. and sysprep can give you <5min windows xp loads over a gigabit network http://ping.windowsdream.com/

REMOTE SOFTWARE/SCHEDULING: microsoft has loads of tools included with server2003 for this

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
for o/s and software deployment I would recommend that you look into the microsoft deployment recommendations. They offer a number of tools that work well, especially for deploying vista.

I have always used ghost to deploy images, sysprep to prep the images, and microsoft migration tools (relates to the above).

for remote control you can do remote assistance/remote desktop. VNC is also a good choice.

SMS is another tool that you can use for software deployment.

altaris provides a really good package. you have to consider the cost of investment versus training the techs on a new method, plus admistration and other hw/software requirements.

fstech

fstech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Since I am the only tech I'm not worried about training techs. I'll look into the microsoft recommendations, thanks.