Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is there a program out there that does this?

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
First off, I have Windows XP SP2 with all updates installed. I'm pretty sure XP does not support natively what I'm am trying to do, so I'm looking for a third party software.

What I am looking for is a software that, when I double click on a file in Windows Explorer, will try to open the file in one program. Then if it turns out the file can't be opened by that program, it will automatically try a second program to open the file in. Is this possible?

If you care to know, here is my problem in more detail:

My photo viewer of choice is Microsoft Photo Editor (MPE). Yes, I know, kind of archaic, but I like it. Anyway, maybe about half of the picture files I try to open are not compatible with it. I end up getting a message saying "Error Reading File." After much searching, I found the problem was not with the JPGs themsevles, but with MPE. And since Microsoft stopped updating and supporting it, I was out of luck.

So I found another photo viewer that I like called Futurix. I installed that, and it works with 100% of my JPGs. However, I would like to use MPE whenever possible and use Futurix only when MPE doesn't work. Rather than double click on a file, get the error message, click OK to the error message, close MPE, then right-click on the JPG and choose "open with" Futurix, I'm looking for a program that would allow Futurix to be opened automatically if MPE can't handle the JPG.

Thank you for your time,
mike.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to go. XP does this for you. click here to learn about it.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for your suggestion, but the link does not offer a sollution to my issue. I am not looking to change which program is opened by doubled clicking on a file. I am looking for a way to have Explorer automatically open a second program if the first program runs into errors when reading the file.

thanks for your help, though...

mike.