Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE6 question?

• Please log in to reply

ScottAz

ScottAz

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I just went through the malware/trojan regime and was given a clean bill of health.

My question of the day has to do with my use of my Favorites bookmarks in IE6. When I select one the display at the bottom of the page says that the selected site is different from the one I want, but it opens the one I want. Pretty strange.

An example would be that I click on EBAY as my intended target site, but the site shown as being directed to could be CNET but it will actually open EBAY.

What's up with that?

Thanks,

scott

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This depends entirely on the shortcut in question. It is possible to get to eBay through redirection links to CNET and what not. So if you bookmarked an old page from CNET and they've moved it and set up a forwarding address, it'll go there instead.

Easy solution is delete the old shortcut, go to the site you want and add it as a new one.

ScottAz

ScottAz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Thanks for the reply but that isn't the issue.

I have 20 or so sites in my favorites. I click on one and the display at the bottom of the page says that it is a completely different site that is saved in my favorites but it actually goes to the one I clicked on.

Weird.

Thanks,
scott

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Its a redirection issue, or it normally is anyway.
What do you see in your status bar when you hover over a link?

ScottAz

ScottAz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
An example would be that I see the name of the link that I want to use. And I actually do end up there.

BUT from when I click on it to when it gets there it displays the name of another link.

Very strange.

The computer has been very slow as of late. Pages freezing, cannot find server errors, web sites taking a long time to load,some of the programs not responding.

I would reload the whole system if I could but my dog ate all of my discs. I lost every program and operating disc I had so I am kind of screwed.

Thanks,

Scott