Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer.exe failed to initialize 0xc0000005

• Please log in to reply

Lfuboi

Lfuboi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Windows XP Home Edition
Dell Inspiron 6000
Problem occurred after downloading SP3 (I should've known better)

After login I get the error "Explorer.exe failed to initialize... 0xc0000005"
I click OK
My background picture comes up, but no START button, status bar or desktop icons.
ctrl+alt+delete to get Task Manager, but can't run anything with it. That includes regedit and all the c:\\windows\systems32 stuff. "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folders options control panel."
Well, that would be fine...if I could get to the Control Panel.
It would also help if the files had names associated with them when I browse with the Task Manager. Yes, the icons are still there, but not operable.

CHKDSK ran (not by MY doing)
Found corrupt files and replaced them.
Something else happened (maybe a diagnostic?) and left me with no restore points.
By the way, diagnostic says all components PASS.
All drivers appear to have been partitioned (if not all, then a whole black screen worth of them have).

Obviously I want to fix the computer, but my main priority is recovering my files!!! I'm the idiot who always INTENDED to back up his files but never did.
If I can just get the photos from the last three years of my life back, I'll be more than happy to cuddle up with a nice cup of hot chocolate, throw that computer into the fireplace and watch it burn!

OK, not really. But it's tempting at the moment.

No viruses have ever been found on my computer with (gag) Norton.
No malware was found a day before the crash with Mircrosoft's malware tool.

Since the computer boots fine, will a windows boot disk provide the necessary drivers for me to hurriedly back up my files?
I would reinstall windows if I had a disk to do it, but my computer came with a notice that I didn't need a disk since my system came with a built in PC Recovery tool. I doubt I'll be able to do that, either.

Alright. There's my problem.

-Tracy

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download Puppy Linux using the link in my signature. Create a bootable cd as per instructions. Make your cd drive first priority boot device (in the BIOS or in boot menu). Boot the computer with the linux and use it to enter the files on your hard disk. Download them to an external storage device.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You should be able to uninstall SP3 from Add or Remove Programs, just check the "Show updates" box at the top.

Not sure if you want to try this before you backup your files or not, your call.

Lfuboi

Lfuboi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Skeptic...
I'll try that in the next day or so.

Ztrucker...
I wish I could get to Add/Remove Programs!!!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Have you tried booting to Safe Mode? You don't mention this in your initial post.

Try it, if it works, login as Administrator, not your normal login. If that works then you should be able to get to Add or Remove Programs. You should also be able to offload your files from there.