Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont get past booting up

• Please log in to reply

mewsick75

mewsick75

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
Here is what is going on.

I've tried all the different modes but its all the same.

The machine Boots up and goes into check disc.

Then it goes to the blue screen of death:

Stop: C0000218(Registry File Failure)
The registry cannot load the hive(file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\Security
or its log or alternate
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable
Begining dump of physical memory
Dumping physical memory to disk.

If anyone can help me out, I would be really appreciative.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Boot in safe mode and try to boot in Last Known Configuration
2: In Safe Mode or Recovery Console run chkdisk /r

mewsick75

mewsick75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
unable to boot in safe mode.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Then use an xp installation cd, enter Recovery Console and run Chkdsk /r. Please write down the name and model of your computer.

mewsick75

mewsick75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
Gateway E series

mewsick75

mewsick75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
Chkdsk gets to about 75% and goes back to 50%. So it doesnt finish.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
In Recovery Console type (press Enter after each line):

copy C:\windows\repair\security C:\windows\system32\config\security
exit to return to windows

If this doesn't help then a complete recovery of registry hives may be needed. This is described in details here.

EDIT: this post has been edited following ztrucker's correct notes, sent to me in a pm.

Edited by The Skeptic, 05 January 2008 - 10:04 PM.

mewsick75

mewsick75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
I cant do any of that, every time I type a command, it says access is denied.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
Using CACLS with Windows XP Home Edition Using the NTFS File System
In Windows XP Home Edition with the NTFS file system, you can also use the Cacls tool, which is a command-line tool, to display or modify file or folder access control lists (ACLs). For more information about the Cacls tool, including usage and switches, search the Help and Support Center for "cacls."
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
2. Make sure that you are in the root folder of the partition for which you want to gain access to the System Volume Information folder. For example, to gain access the C:\System Volume Information folder, make sure that you are in the root folder of drive C (at a "C:\" prompt).
3. Type the following line, and then press ENTER:
cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /G username:F
Make sure to type the quotation marks as indicated. This command adds the specified user to the folder with Full Control permissions.
4. Double-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder to open it.
5. If you need to remove the permissions after troubleshooting, type the following line at a command prompt:
cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /R username
This command removes all permissions for the specified user.

The following steps also work if you restart the computer to Safe mode because simple file sharing is automatically turned off when you run the computer in Safe mode.
1. Open My Computer, right-click the System Volume Information folder, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab.
3. Click Add, and then type the name of the user to whom you want to give access to the folder. Typically, this is the account with which you are logged on.
4. Click OK, and then click OK again.
5. Double-click the System Volume Information folder to open it.

then try what The Skeptic said....

mewsick75

mewsick75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
How would i do any of that? I cant boot the machine to get to the start menu.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and follow the steps...Langa Letter: XP's Little-Known 'Rebuild' Command...
You can also view and edit the startup entries via the Msconfig tool. Enter "Msconfig" on the Start/Run line, and you'll see numerous options for modifying the Boot.Ini and related files. The XP help system explains each option pretty well.

But none of these "edit from within Windows" options is available when Windows won't boot, which is why the Recovery Console's little-known Bootcfg /Rebuild command is so important and useful. If you know about this command and how to use it, you can potentially save yourself literally hours and hours of manually reinstalling or rebuilding a failed operating system....

Edited by happyrck, 07 January 2008 - 10:49 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Is the Administrator's account of this computer protected by a password? Do you manage to get in Recovery Console to the stage in which c:\window\ _ is shown?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
See this Microsoft Knowledgebase article for information on recovering from a corrupt registry. Not simple but not to difficult. If it looks like to much for you, it might be easier to do a "Repair" install if you have a Windows XP CD.

Anyway, here is the link to the MSKB article: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545

Here is a link on how to do a repair install: http://michaelsteven...pairinstall.htm