Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow start page eve on DSL?

• Please log in to reply

sylamore

sylamore

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I'm back again with another problem for you experts on this forum.... I have a Compaq 5242 comp and run Windows 98. I have DSL internet. My comp starts fine and everything loads fine. I doubleclick on Internet Explorer to get up and running. The progress bar starts moving SLOWLY, then the page will read "finding site" then after about 3 minutes it will read "connecting to site" then after about 3 more minutes I will always get the old "page cannot be displayed" page. The funny part about all this is that after that page is up I can click home and it will go there at break-neck speed. It will also continue to run fast to any sites I choose, loads pages quickly and just overall does great. But WHY is so slow to actually get up and running???? I barely have anything running on start-up that should be affecting this. Anybody know? Thanks :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
DNS resolution, perhaps...too many protocols bound to your NIC, maybe.....

right click network neighboorhood, choose properties....do you see netbui or ipx/spx?

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Hi gerryf and thanks for the response. Neither of those entries show up. Anything else?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you manually set your DNS servers on this machine, or is it dynamically assigned?

right click netowrk neighborhood, choose properties, choose the tcpip protocol for you NIC, double click, click DNS...what do you see? Enabled, Disabled?

Numbers?

Is this a recent issue or has it always been this way?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
who is your isp?

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Hi gerryf. The man that set up our DSL also set everything up on my computer. It worked fine up until I had to do a restore on my comp about a month ago. After that the comp didn't seem to know how to act. DNS is enabled and numbers are 216.98.167.1 and 216.98167.2 and are correct. All our comp's are set to this. Our ISP is our local telephone company. My kids are not having this problem and we are all on the same DSL cable run through a router. Does all this tell you anything? Thanks! :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it tells me I as going in the wrong direction.....

The most obvious issue is you have a malware infection....there is a rare malware out there that redirects all of your dns queries to a remote dns server, then forwards you to where you want to go... The purpose is to monitor where you go...true spyware.

I am not saying you have that, just that the symptoms are possible clues.

Please visit the forum in my signature and follow the recommendations there. If you're not infected, come back and we will persue the other possibilities.

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Morning gerryf. I clicked on the forum but am not sure I understand what I need to do from there. If you are talking about running all the different scans and checks on my comp, then all that has already been done. The "true spyware" thing you are talking about....does it have a name? Can I search it out on my comp and delete it? Please advise. Thanks :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you then post a hijack log? If so, and it looks clean, it can be something else....

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I will post another log in the correct forum for you to look at....Thanks

Advertisements

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
New log is up

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm sorry, I was not aware that you had already posted one...should have gleaned that from the first post.....I need to go back and read the original logs.

In the meantime, could youpost a hijackthis log from one of the other machines in your network (not this one), and post it in this thread so I can compare DNS addresses

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I surely can do that from my daughters comp.... Do I post it in the other forum? It will be under the user josielea, ok?

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I didn't read that post too well. I see that I need to post it in this thread....Sorry Will be here in a few minutes

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

.... and post it in this thread....

View Post

:tazz: