Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow start page eve on DSL?

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Basically, all you need is your windows cd key---on the manual cover or on the side of the case, the windows CD, and an hour.

Do you know how to do a screen capture....? I'd really like to see the countents of this cd before we start.

Load the cd in your daughters computer, choose START > ALL PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES >WINDOWS EXPLORER. In the left pane, select your CD Drive, and the folder structure will appear on the right

Hit the PRT SC key.

Now open MS PAINT

START > ALL PROGRAMS > ACCESORIES > PAINT

Hit CTRL-V (simulataneously).

Safe the file, and upload it as an attachment so I can take a peek.

Advertisements

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I have the CD drive open with the folders showing but I do not know what the PRT SC key is? There is one on the keyboard that says Print Scrn/SysRq..is that it?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Ok, let me see if I can do this right...

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Hope this is right....

I got this error message on geeks:

The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ahh, too large....open it again in paint, then choose SAVE AS and select either JPEG or GIF (try both), attach the smallest

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Ok, here goes as JPEG file

I guess it worked this time

Attached Thumbnails

• screen_1.JPG

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Perfect. Exactly what I wanted.

Now, get your boot floppy from earlier and insert it in the floppy, start your computer and choose start with cd-rom support

Insert your cd drive when the computer is booted and sitting at the a:\> prompt

type the following

d:
cd win98
setup

Windows will ask you during setup for the location of the windows directory...choose c:\windows

Other than that, you just need to insert your CD-rom and keep hitting NEXT or CONTINUE

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
By boot floppy, do you just mean my 98 disc cause that's all I have...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
download 98se disk

insert floppy in present computer, double click the file you downloaded an it will make a boot floppy for you

Advertisements

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Hey, I got a question...Why do you keep putting the SE on after 98? I am not sure that we have established exactly which Windows I have. My comp always shows just plain Windows 98. The disc says Windows 98, and over to the right of that it says Second Edition. I still think it is just plain old 98 though. Which is is? My comp never has shown se at all when I checked the system.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it doesn't show it....you determine by the system date for certain files....it doesn't really matter in this case...we're just using a windows 98 se boot disk

Whatver you have the process is the same.

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Ok, something really weird just happened....I dl'd the boot disc and put it in my comp. Started it up and I couldn't get to the page where I could tell it to start with CD support. I clicked on a line that said something like....start from command prompt....got a black screen that started asking me one question after another. I read them and tried common logic to answer them. Mostly yes's and only a few no's. After question time was over the comp went to my login page, I logged in, it loaded my desktop with no trouble. I clicked IE to get online and it actually worked. I went to a few different sites just to check it out. Now I am fixing to shut it down and restart to double-check it. I noticed during the questions it asked me about the files that had been deleted....from page 8 of this thread....I said to load them. Apparently it did because it worked. I'll write more in a few minutes, after I see if all will restart correctly....

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
?

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Ok, I know that was confusing. Forget about it. I only have 1 drive to use on my comp. I have the bootdisc and my 98 disc, no floppy drive, nothing else to work with.