Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow start page eve on DSL?

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no floppy?

Even so, you should be able to boot with the Windows CD and start the setup routine

Advertisements

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Nope, no floppy. This comp only came with a cd drive and a 3.5 drive. The 3.5 quit working a very long time ago so all I have is the one cd drive. I'm sorry I have been such a pain with this stuff. Please clarify for me which disc I need to put in my cd drive. Is it the Windows 98 or the boot disc? Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
The cd that you showed me earlier.....in the picture/attachment.

Booting with that and only that should start windows setup

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I can't seem to get windows setup to run no matter what I do. I have tried the Windows 98 disc and the boot disc. After I tell it to boot from CD Rom, then it aks about starting with CD support, I click yes. Then it goes to a page of setup that says my comp already has an operating system on it and this windows disc is designed for comp's without a system installed. When I tell it to run the setup anyway, then it goes to a page that performs a scan, then it says Drive C and D have no errors, then the page just sits there. My options on this page are VIEW LOG and EXIT......what next?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
been gone for the past week, sorry....

You choose EXIT.

If you've not done anything since this point....

if you have....well, the best way to move forward is to use a boot disk to rename c:\windows and the win.com file, then your cd-rom will install.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i still do not know why you cannot install from your harddrive, where the cab files are....something is getting lost between us

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Morning gerryf....I just stopped while you were away. Hey, the good news is that I just ordered a brand new comp from ibuypower.com and I can't wait to get my hands on it. My son got one from them about 2 years ago and it has been a great comp for him. Anyway, I still want to get mine back up and running.....I think we just need to start from scratch. How about I just turn mine on and then I'll tell you exactly what happens. Would that be ok? I mean before putting in any kind of disc or anything. Got time to try it? :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
some, but not a ton...

Is there anything on this PC that you need to save?

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Probably but I am not gonna worry too much about it....Why? Are you thinking just take it back to ground zero? Might be best, I don't know.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Floppy issue is a pain....almost forgot about that....you've got a burner on the other machine....correct?

thinking of making an cd image with some boot tools....or better, do you have a windows xp cd---this is a peculiar way to go about it, and maybe extra work, but it would save your data.

Advertisements

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Yes there is a burner on my daughter's comp but I don't know how to operate it. Sorry. Do not have an XP cd at all. No help there. I have no clue where my daughter's is and my son's is lost. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
let me see if I can make a quick image....that may do what we need ... be back in 5 minutes

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, let's try this...on your daughter/son's machine, it is windows xp....do you know if it is service pack 1 or 2?

Open MY COMPUTER, choose HELP > ABOUT

If you have sp1, go here
http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm
download the NON-beta

If you have sp2, download the beta

install it.
reboot

Now, download the following

http://www.thecomput...ic.com/boot.iso

it's about 3mb--put it on your desktop

place a blank cd in the burner, then right click the file above and choose burn image.

Give it a few minutes.

Place this disk in the damaged machine and boot your computer....should see a a:\> after a boot.

Do you?

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I got the recorder thing on my desktop but I have hit a snag on the other thing. When I click the link I get a box that says:
Windows cannot open this file. To open the file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically or you can select from a list of programs on your computer. What do you want to do?" Then it lists those 2 options with tic boxes to select the answer. I am at a loss.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you mean boot.iso?

right click the link and click SAVE TARGET AS and download