Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow start page eve on DSL?

• Please log in to reply

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
So far, so good....says it is installing WIndows 98

Advertisements

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Windows has now loaded. So where does this leave me on my internet (DSL) connection. Does all that have to be set up again?

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Did this also fix the association file problem?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Probably to the first, and I yes it did fix the association problem for the second.

Getting there....

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose DEVICE MANAGER....what do you see as far as devices with yellow !s on them? or UNKNOWN?

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Just the same old PCI Communication Device...still has the yellow! by it. Also why are my only choices in my Settings display for either 2 color or 16 color? These screens suck..lol

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
The modem driver is not yet loaded and the videocard driver is not yet loaded....to be expected.

I need to go to an award ceremony for my kids (straight As through their entire middle school years), so i have to be scooting....

I need to backtrack to find your system info, download the drivers, then put up another ISO for you to burn to transfer to the system.

Take a break and we'll pick this up later tonight or tomorrow...we are getting there. :tazz:

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
That's cool.....FANTASTIC JOB YOUR KIDS DID!!!!! Talk later....

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Morning...hope you had a nice time last night. Also have an issue with a security box coming up all the time asking me about certificates. I know there's an easy fix for that but I can't recall how to do it. I ran everest last night and it looks like I have an ATI 3-D Rage LT Pro graphics card. I went to the ATI site and I think I have the correct driver on my desktop, ready to install, but I wanted to wait for you before I installed it. The name os the file is w98avp5350002.exe.....is this the right one?

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Oh and by the way, I am back on my comp. It seems to be working good It is connecting super fast and doing well at loading pages, etc.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Just trying to clear the nights backlog before hopping on your thread...yes, that is the correct one.

looking for your modem driver now

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
this should be your modem driver (the pci communication device listed above), unless you updated the hardware at one time.

http://h10025.www1.h...151&cc=us&os=20

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Actually yes I have changed the modem out. I now have a Lucent WildWire modem installed. I have the disc for it so I guess the drivers should be on this disc, right?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yep

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Ok, I installed the file I asked you about that should have been the graphics driver, then I installed the Lucent drivers from the disc. Now what's next to make my comp look good again????

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Sounds like you're good to go....right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose SETTINGS....adjust desktop and color settings up.

Is that what you mean by look good?