Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow start page eve on DSL?

• Please log in to reply

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Yes that's what I'm talking about but the problem is I still only have a choice between 2 color and 16 color for the monitor settings. What happened to 256 color and the other choices that used to be on here?

Advertisements

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
And by the way, we have solved the yellow exclamation mark problem beside the PCI communication device.....YEAH!!!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sounds like that video driver failed to setup properly....

try the one below instead

labeled
Driver - Display

http://h10025.www1.h...151&cc=us&os=20

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Yeppers...that one did the trick. I look pretty much back to normal now. I am so happy to finally have this thin running again. Too bad I've already ordered my new comp, oh well, I'll be enjoying it anyway. But now I've got to get used to Windows XP on the new one. Oh, I still have the Security Alert boxes coming up. It pertains to certificates for sites. How can I get it to stop coming up?

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
And I have run across another problem....On the microsoft download page there is a scan to check for critical updates...I can't get this scan to run. Keeps giving me the error message 0x80072F05.

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I have Internet Explorer 5 and would like to bring this more up to date. Can I install another newer version of IE?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, and that is why you are getting those problems

http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

is the download site for the setup, which runs on line.

After you get it, hit windows update to upgrade to the latest fixes.

You still have your old files in c:\bakwin, c:\bakmd, and c:\winpf

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Ok, after really taking the time to read the full error message on Windows Update, I saw what my problem was. The date set on my comp was 2019. I changed it and tried again and got all the updates to download so I am now current with Windows. I also got IE 6 downloaded. :tazz: So now what else has to be done????

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Don't I need to be thinking about some virus, spyware, etc... protection now? What are the best downloads to keep on hand?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes....

avg and avast are both freebies

also get adaware, spybot search and destroy and spyware blaster

Advertisements

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
;) Ok...I have dl'd avg, avast, adaware, spybot and spyware blaster. They all appear to be working fine. Have run them all without incident. YEAH!!! Now I need a good unzipping program. I am NOT good with zip files so please tell me the simplest one on the freeware market???? I have dl'd hjt but it is on my desktop in a zip file. I need to be able to open it but I sure don't want to be the one to tell my comp what to use to open it. Don't need any more file association problems. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I am current using tugzip

http://www.tugzip.com/

My favorite for wide use

winuha is what i use for HEAVY COMPRESSION (shrinks archives more than anything I have found)

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I'll dl it now

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
just saw that...don't install avg and avast at the same time....can cause problems (rare, but still)...if you installed both, uninstall one...I give a slight edge to avast, but that's me.

Since you are broadband, consider a firewall

kerio personal firewall OR sygate are good--both free

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Ok, I will delete avg...I dl'd tugzip now can you please tell me how to open hjt with it. I don't know why I have such a hard time understanding these zip programs.