Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow start page eve on DSL?

• Please log in to reply

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Ok, so I don't check the box and I only add the 192.168.1.1 and leave the other 2 numbers in there?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no sorry, remove the other two (was sitting on page three...didn't see you add a post)

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
[COLOR=purple] That did not work....I tried using only that number, then put the other 2 numbers back in, then added that number. All to no avail. I called our phone company, who is our ISP, and the man said they had changed providers over a year ago. The numbers that were on my comp are the correct ones. (The 216.98.167.1 and 216.98.167.2) We are back to enabled on the DNS page too. Nothing is helping. What next?????

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that's odd...that should work...
and nothing else, with DNS enabled

As for the correct numbers, his DNS server reads mail.mvt.com...they must have decomissioned a mail server and renamed it....

try this
in the browser window, type
http://192.168.1.1
a box will pop up, type
User Name: admin
Password: admin

enter

take a screen shot and post/attach it.

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I can't open that address at all. Nothing happens except I get the old "can't display page" page. And now it seems as though alot of my pages are slowing down to a crawl, not just the first one when trying to get online. I am getting very frustrated with this. What else can we try? :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
maybe I am barking up a wrong tree assuming this is DNS related (sure seems like it though)

try these numbers as DNS, removing the others

these are public dns servers that are a little slow, but functioning right now

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
It took the same amount of time to get online and the comp reacted the exact same way. Got the old "The page cannot be displayed" page when it loaded up then it did fine when I moved on to other sites. I have reinserted my 2 old numbers and rebooted once again. Back to square one....So, does that tell you it's a DNS thing or something else?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I guess we've been wasting time.

Tell me about this computer....was it always on the cable/dsl connection?

Was this problem always there, or is it recent?

Do you switch back and forth between dial up and dsl?

When you go to START > SETTING > CONTROL PANEL > NETWORK, what is in the BOX beside TCPIP?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
have we done a hijackthis log on this computer?

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Here goes....no, this comp was on dial up until about 3 months ago when we switched to DSL. The dial up worked fine and was faster than my load-up now. After getting DSL, it was great. Fast getting online, all worked fine. Then about 1 month ago I ended up loaded down with bugs so I did a restore. I have had this problem for about 3 weeks now and the other thing I can't get to work is my IBM PC Cam. It keeps telling me "No sucj interface supported" when I try to open the cam program. (I have that posted under hardware problems on this site now and not getting it worked out yet) I do not switch back and forth, strictly run DSL. In the box beside TCPIP is:
TCP/IP ->Dial-Up Adapter
TCP/IP ->PCI Fast Ethernet DEC 21143 Based Adapter
Yes, I have posted a HJT log before but I can't recall where it is on the site and under which problem I have asked about. Would you like me to put one on this thread?
I don't think it matters much but I do recall that right after I did the restore, there was a dll missing and I had to correct it, which I did. Everything seemed fine after the correction.....just trying to give you all the info I can so you can help me solve this ordeal! Thanks :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Hmmm, that DLL is interesting.....I need to go search for your log....

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Nothing in the logs that I see explain this....but who handled this compute before three months ago as far as updates?

The system restore was done....how?

This is windows 98...what. SE? or normal.

Here's where I'm going...perhaps your current installation lacks the winsock two update, but it had it before....

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
The restore was done with the Restore disc that came with the comp. Windows 98, no SE, just plain 98. I am the only one who has dealt with this comp over the past 3 years. I tried to keep all updates and so forth done. Have been using all the scan items for awhile now and trying to keep up with all the new junk out there.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Previously, the windows update would have included the update, but now...perhaps not.

http://www.microsoft...n14/Default.asp

Try this...I'm scooting out right now, but I will check back in later

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Will give it a try and talk later on...Thanks