Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive disabled

• Please log in to reply

darthur

darthur

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am working on a computer for our church. I got another hard drive and loaded the operating system (XP) while it was installed on another computer. I installed it on the new computer and it won't boot up. I went into the Bios and the drive is there but it is disabled and so is the CD drive. Is there a way to enable these drives from the Bios? The computer has a 3.0 ghz pentium chip and an 80 gb western digital hard drive.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in the bios there should be an option to enable those devices (if they are claiming to be disabled)....i can't tell you exactly where in the bios that info would be located as many systems use a different architecture...you'll have to dig around and find those settings

as a warning.....unless this system is EXACTLY the same (mainly the motherboard make model and revision) as the one you installed the OS with...then it will not boot into windows correctly...you'll have to preform a repair install of the OS for it to boot correctly, and even that might not work resulting in the need for a full format reinstall

zetakappa700

zetakappa700

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hey dad,

If enabling the HD and cd drive doesn't work; you might need to reformat and reinstall like you did the last time you installed the OS in Matthew's computer. Just format the HD, then reinstall the parts into your church computer and restart the comp w/ the OS disk in the cd drive. When the comp load the bios, enter the bios and check to see if your cd drive/HD are still disabled. It should load from the disk and navigate you through the install of you OS.

Edited by zetakappa700, 05 January 2008 - 02:40 PM.