Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help! error message 0xc0000103

• Please log in to reply

gaysy

gaysy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

We hope you can help us as we are desperate. We have Vista Home Premium 32 bit. When we turn the computer on, the motherboard screen comes up twice, then the microsoft loading bar fills up twice, then the screen goes black.

No microsoft logo comes on, which used to happen just before the log-on screen came on. The screen just stays black. The lights on the pc flash on & off as though it is about to start up. After a while an error message appears on screen, saying '0xc0000103 The application failed to initialize properly. Click ok to terminate the application'.

We click 'ok' & the grey box disappears from the screen, but nothing else happens. We have tried this many times over the last few weeks, to see if anything different happens, but we cannot get any further than that. Not being able to even get the start screen up, we cannot even attempt to restore.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Gaysy

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

#1 04-Jan-2008 09:21 AM
gaysy

Junior Member Posts: 1
Experience: Beginner

Log on/off application error message no: 0xc0000103

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

We're in desperate need of help.

When we switch on the computer, we get the motherboard screen & then the screen goes completely blank. Then appears a log on application error message, number 0xc0000103, which says 'The application failed to initialize properly. Click ok to terminate the application'. We click ok, the error message disappears, but the screen stays blank. And that's it basically. We have not been able to use the computer for weeks.

At least if we could get the start screen up we could take it from there, but with a blank screen we have no options. Microsoft cannot help & we have been told by the manufacturers that the only way to get round the problem is to completely reinstall, which would mean losing everything we have put on the computer.

Has anyone got any ideas, so that we can avoid having to take this drastic course of action.

Thanks very much
Gaysy

#2 9 Minutes Ago
good grief

Senior Member Posts: 102
Experience: Beginner

I went to Tech Net

http://search.techne......0nt accounts

and looked up your error code:

Error Code: 0xC0000103
Error Translation: BERR_ACCNT_WIN_INIT_ERROR
Problem: Unable to create Windows NT accounts because Windows reports error %1.

I then looked up Windows NT and it brought up many entries to do with user accounts.
So, it looks like your system can't create your user account. If it can't do that, then you can't log on, and you can't get to your desktop to do anything. Have a look at Tech Net and see what you think, but I suspect there is no quick fix, hence the manufacturere's recommendation (someone leap in here and correct me if I'm wrong).

Do you have backups of your files on disk? Other than that, someone else may be able to help you with file recovery from your hard drive.

Good luck

I found the same thing when looking up the error code you gave. ( 0xc0000103 )

click here to read more

Edited by wolfgang3212, 04 January 2008 - 03:12 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
looking up just the error code "0xc0000103" I found a number of interesting errors. Many of them seem to be spyware related. However at this time you need to be able to bootup your system before we can diagnose anything further.

Have you had any other issues with your system prior to this happening?

one option that I might do is to run the "vista repair".
http://www.bleepingc...utorial148.html

gaysy

gaysy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No nothing bad. I had a few problems with windows live one care that was sorted. And with my wireless connection but thats about it.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I would still recommend running the vista repair. that way we can get your system up and running.

Awhitmore1678

Awhitmore1678

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My omputer is doing the same thing, and I have not been able to get it fixed, so I might have to try and reboot the whole thing and see what happens. My computer has been down for about 8 months because I didn't know what to do about it. Hopefully that fixes the problem.