Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win xp crash? with nero conflict?

• Please log in to reply

kallita

kallita

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
You guys help with two previous posts so here is number 3. :)
windows xp pro sp2 with all updates
amd atlon 64 x2 4200+
mobo is an asus m2n-mx
with several hard drives
2 dvd-burners <pioneer 110d and tsstcorp <samsung> sh183a>

I am encountering a sort of crash when I use nero to burn discs.
I say a sort of crash in that it is not shutting down the machine , nor giving me a BSD
What it is doing is giving my screen a diagonal patttern of white and black <kinda hard to describe> that doesn't seem to change with input.<you know how sometimes you can see that the image is changing when you hit specific keys? well it doesn't.
It will shut down the burn after about a minute, but the computer will continue to do other things very slowely in the back ground.
I am also encountering a nero 100% cpu usage problem.
I am thinking that something is conflicting with nero, but I can't find out what.
I have reinstalled the video drivers.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled nero with the newest one available, as well as an older version
I have done a registry clean of all of the nero / ahead keys just to make sure that nothing was left behind, and reinstalled nero.
Each time I will re-encounter this problem.
it does not occure each and every burn, in fact I can do several burns before the error crops up. Nor does the type of burn or what drive is the source seem to make a difference.
thanks for your help and your time, and if you need any more info please let me know.
kallita
PS. beent hinking about going to winxp64.... would this be a good time to do it? :)

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Do you notice problems with the computer at any other time? Is it only while using nero?
What other programs do you have running when the problem occurs? ie: I suspect you have virus scanners/ malware scanners running in the background. Is there anything else.

kallita

kallita

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
"Do you notice problems with the computer at any other time? "

No other problems that I have noticed, and I use this machine a lot.

"Is it only while using nero?"

It appears to be only when using nero. It has not had the problem occure at any other time.

"What other programs do you have running when the problem occurs? ie: I suspect you have virus scanners/ malware scanners running in the background. Is there anything else."

actual applications?
agent
eudora
norton sysdoc
zone alarm
avg free
spybot s&d<active anti-spy>
du meter
counter spy<passive unless scanning >
syncmaster natural colour pro <monitor driver>
sound max control panel <sound driver>
ashampoo magic defrag
nvidia settings <video card drivers>
a clock program
and I will usually have anywhere from 1 to 5 explorer windows open at any given time.

I can give you a hijack this listing if you would like.
It will happen even if i am in the middle of something like moving a file, or doing e-mail, with the task usually finishing , if I give it enough time before rebooting.<yes a hard reboot, as nothing else seems to work.

thanks for taking a look.
kallita

kallita

kallita

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
HJT log removed

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You most likely have something that will start running in the background on its own.
A couple thoughtrs. First, I am not that familiar with Norton/Symantec, so since I stated that......
1. Can Norton Sysdoc be run independant of having Nortons?
2. Did you get rid of Nortons?, keep sysdoc, and have other Norton remmants still on the system?
3. From info I have found on Norton sysdoc, it periodically polls the computer. Therefore you will have cpu spikes associated with it.
4. From my reading on it, people have stated its a resource hog (their statements).
When was the last time you cleaned all the temp files and did a defrag?
5. What do you have, if anything, scheduled for automatic running?
6. It could also be malware/ spyware/virus related. It would not hurt for you to go to our malware forum HERE.
Run what you can and see how the comp works. Just running the scans clears 70 % of any infection. If there is a problem you can post there (please referance this link), clean it up and then come back here if needed.
7. keep task manager open and watch your processes for any other huge jumps.

Keep us informed.

kallita

kallita

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

"You most likely have something that will start running in the background on its own."

I had been thinking of that , but it will occure at any given time and only while nero is burning.

"A couple thoughtrs. First, I am not that familiar with Norton/Symantec, so since I stated that......
1. Can Norton Sysdoc be run independant of having Nortons?"

It took me a while of experimentation to get only the norton files needed to run the sysdoc, but yes it can be run independantly. it was the only program from the norton barn that I really actually wanted. So I just worked on it until it was the only thing left.

"2. Did you get rid of Nortons?, keep sysdoc, and have other Norton remmants still on the system?"

process was- copy nortons directory to backup, uninstall norton<including norton complete remove from registry> then just went into the back up directory and copied only the sysdoc exe file into a recreated norton path in the programs directory, tried to run it, and added any files it would tell me were needed to run until it ran properly<i believe there was only two or three that were needed> i have had no problems with it wrunning, and it doesn't seem to be a resource hog by itself.

"3. From info I have found on Norton sysdoc, it periodically polls the computer. Therefore you will have cpu spikes associated with it."

it polls whatever it is monitoring and does it quit often. It can be set up to do it as often as every second, or as limited as every ten minutes. I set it for about every minute, and I have not noticed a spike at all.

"4. From my reading on it, people have stated its a resource hog (their statements)."

see response to #2

"When was the last time you cleaned all the temp files and did a defrag?"

all temp files have been cleaned regularily about once a week or so<just ran the ATF file from this site, and not much was removed>, and the defrag is a continuous and ongoing thing with magic defrag. Whenever the comp is idle for more than X amount of minutes it kicks in and starts defragging until it is either done , or there is activity.

"5. What do you have, if anything, scheduled for automatic running?"

the usual suspects of windows auto update, avg and spy ware scans but all of those are set to times early in the morning, and should not be activating at teh times that I am encountering this problem.

"6. It could also be malware/ spyware/virus related. It would not hurt for you to go to our malware forum HERE.
Run what you can and see how the comp works. Just running the scans clears 70 % of any infection. If there is a problem you can post there (please referance this link), clean it up and then come back here if needed."

those scans are run pretty much nightly. or at least 2-3 times a week, and have been run several times after this problem started, with nothing unusual popping up< I know- this doesn't mean that there isn't anything there, just that they can't find anything.>

"7. keep task manager open and watch your processes for any other huge jumps."

I will do that.

"Keep us informed."

will do

this is just what I was hoping for. Something to get my brain thinking in areas that I would not normally think to look.
Your reply has got me thinking about a couple of things that I will be looking into.
thanks for any input and for your time.
kallita

kallita

kallita

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Just to update you all ; and thanks for the help that was given; I have replaced the dvd drives on this machine.
although the new drive does not seem to be having the same problems I am not sure what actually caused them in the first place.
I will be testing the drives out on another machine later to see if they are what the problem was.
thanks for your help.
and now I am off to fight with windows xp x64 connectivity problem
kallita