Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running out of free space on Dell Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Deven

Deven

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
I have a Vostro 1500 laptop and i seem to be running out of space. It came with a 107gb hd and i only have 36.5gb free. I have around 40gb of media stored on the computer so I would assume with all other windows files and things, i'd have around atleast 60+ gb of free space instead of just 36.5gb. I looked around at folders under c-drive and nothing adds up to as much space as it shows that I am using.

I have backed up my computer before (when I did re-install of Vista) but I just deleted that folder (Windows.old) and i got around 10gb of space back but that is nothing compared to the amount of space I should have. Is there a way to see what is taking up the space and to try and free some up? It is really akward i would run out of space so quick when I know what I put on my laptop and there is no way I have put 70gb of things on here.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Vista takes an obscene amount of hard drive space - about 12Gb depending on which flavour of Windows Vista you have.

So starting from 107Gb:

40Gb for data plus 12Gb of Vista = 52Gb.

107Gb - 52Gb = 55Gb free, or should be.

Bear in mind programs and other data as well, do take up a lot of room and a few bigger programs means its easier these days to fill up 20Gb without really thinking about it.