Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

5GB RAM will boot 6GB will not... help please winxp pro 64

• Please log in to reply

jacobusmatthew

jacobusmatthew

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hi all i have a P5N-e SLI board with DDR2 2X1GB OCZ Platinum and DDR2 2x2GB Running on Windows XP Pro 64...It first would not even post. I messed with the latency until it was 5-5-5-15 and could get 2 of one stick and one of another to work. The problem is when i use all 4 sticks i can POST but i can not boot into windows. It will boot with any combination of 3 sticks in any combination of slots, but not all 4. I have OS2 enabled. I also turned off fast boot and the memory test failed. But as i said earlier any other combination yeilding total RAM capacity of 1GB-5GB will work but when i do all 4 to make 6GB it will not boot into windows. It says it can support up to 8GB and all of the slots work, so i have no idea ill keep searching, in the mean time maybe someone can help.

Posted Image

Thanks a bunch,
Matt

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
a lot of boards make heavy weather of booting or doing anything with all four memory slots on the board occupied.
This may be an issue with the board, or there is a BIOS update available.

jacobusmatthew

jacobusmatthew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
The RAM is garbage, the stock timings are ridiculous and it is error prone. I wondered why XP constantly crashed, I thought it was because x64 was unstable, but in actuality once i stuck only my old RAM in it worked perfectly. Im just going to order 2 more 1GB sticks that are exactly the same. I can tighten the timings down to 4-4-4-12 and they are 40 bucks, i was just hoping to make my computer "future-resistant" by buying the extra 4 GB. 4GB total should be plenty anyway. Im RMAing them...thanks anyway.