Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Media Center Recovery Issue

• Please log in to reply

tmadd

tmadd

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have an HP Media Center computer model 854N. Windows XP Media Center Operating System. I wanted to replace the hard drive. I ordered recovery CD's from HP. When using the CD's, It gets to the last disc(disc 9) and the bar goes to 100% then it comes up and says "creating user partition." Then another box comes up and says "cannot create user partition, recovery cannot continue." I ordered ANOTHER set of CD's and it did the same thing. I have tried different hard drives. Each with the same result.
I tried the CTRL/Backspace 4,5,6 trick to clean and format. The same end result. It goes all the way to the last disc(taking about an hour), the progress bar reaches 100% then it tries to create a user partition and it cannot, what's the deal?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello tmadd...

Are you preparing (formatting) the drive before running the recovery? See Step 2 HERE for information on preparing the drive for recovery.

wannabe1

tmadd

tmadd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, I think so. I need to FDISK in DOS and make one active partition as large as possible? I have tried that and have taken the hard drive out and reformatted it using another computer. I have tried different hard drives. I have completely ereased one of them using AUTONUKE. Nothing makes a difference. I have ran HP's system utility to check the motherboard, RAM, Video, Hard Drive, Etc... They all check out OK. I am able to load XP with my install disk(not the recovery CD's) on any of the hard drives. But I want to get it back like it was new.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY!!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you look under the heading "Recovering from recovery discs" on This Page, does it describe the way you originally tried to run the recovery operation?

tmadd

tmadd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes.

I tried it this way the first times. I called HP and they told me to use CTRL/BACKSPACE and hit 4, then 5, then 6. This clears and then formats the hard drive. Then it would start to recover with the CD's. But that doesn't work. They also told me that a smaller hard drive would work(20G). Originally it had a 120G. Rather than buying a new one I have been using some smaller ones that I already had. I have tried a 20G and a 13G.I guess they could be wrong but I am hesitant to spend any money on this computer.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Have you added any hardware since you first bought the computer? Did you add additional RAM?

tmadd

tmadd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
YES.

The Original Cd Player is gone. The original DVD Burner is gone. The 6 in 1 card reader is gone. The original HD is gone. It has a new DVD Burner, no card reader, and a different Hard Disk Drive. It has one new stick of RAM. It has a different modem. The video card and the TV Tuner card are original. I have tried to restore it with the new modem and the new stick of RAM pulled out. Same thing. "Unable to Create User Partition."

This computer is designed to be upgraded with new and different hardware. It is the same motherboard, CPU, cabinet, keyboard, etc. Would upgrading really shut it down? And how would I know how much to replace towards original?

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No, I don't see how any of those changes would prevent the Recovery CD from completing, especially since you can successfully install using a XP Install CD.

I seem to remember the HP Recovery CD offering two recovery methods, non-destructive and destructive. Have you tried the non-destructive method after formatting the drive in another computer?

You said It gets to the last disc(disc 9), what exactly does that mean. Are there 9 CDs or are you using Diskettes or what? Please clarify, thanks.

tmadd

tmadd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Once the hard drive is formatted, the only option given is the destructive recovery. If there is an operating system present when trying to recover, that is when it would give you the non destructive option. Since I am using a different hard drive, the only option available is destructive.

And yes there are nine CD's. But get this: The first set I ordered from HP were CD's. Then I ordered a second set. For the same computer, the same serial number,etc......When I received them, they were DVD's. Nine of them. Both sets give the same results.

(BRAINSTORM:)

I think I might try to do a Non Destructive recovery of the XP install with the discs. I have the computer up and running with the single disc install of XP Pro(not the desired media center).I just wonder if it will let me recover with the new discs on top of that. WHEN I ACTIVATED THE WINDOWS XP PRO I USED THE MEDIA CENTER KEY. It might just think it's the same computer. THANKS FOR THE IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!