Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard upgrade problems

• Please log in to reply

zgmorris

zgmorris

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I just upgraded my mother board and cpu to an ECS 945GCT-M and to a pentium core 2 duo 2.2 GHz. I followed the instructions on installing all of the components and am pretty sure i connected everything right, but when i go to start my computer the error STOP: 0x0000007B pops up and i can't do anything, i think it as something to do with the setup of the motherboard but i'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Under Win2000, XP and Vista, you cannot just change the mainboard and expect it to work. You must perform a Windows Repair on it from your XP CD.
Details here: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

zgmorris

zgmorris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks it worked

Tomax Blade

Tomax Blade

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Same issue ... but with Vista (ultimate 32 bit)

I have not done any troubleshooting with Vista before, so am blundering my way through.

I did try the "overly user friendly" "repair my system" option ... that showed me nothing but a little progress bar & the words "repairing your system" ... but then it didn't work.

I did attempt to add drivers ... but still nogo

(I miss my good old clunky looking recovery console!)

I tried a chkdsk /F ... no problems.

All SATA is disabled (IDE drive)

I'm considering simply installing over the current version or seeing what options it gives me if I continue with an install instead of attempting a repair.

Any other suggestions on how to run the repair or get it running without a full re-install?

Thanks!