Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVCHD formate

• Please log in to reply

AlisaViola

AlisaViola

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I am thinking of buying a camera "Handycam® High Definition HDR-SR7 60 GB HDD 10X Zoom Digital Camcorder from Sony®. " But I am not sure about this AVCHD formate is it hard to deal with? I edit vid alot and I am worried this may be hard to edit. Do you have any advice on wether or not I should go this way. I like the idea of the hard drive cam no rewind or fastforward invovled. But like I said this format is new. I am not too sure about it. Adobe does not support it as of now I would have to invest in a new movie program like Ulead ect. I like the HD idea seeing all tv's will soon be HD. But the AVCHD scares me. Thanks Lisa

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Taken from en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Video_Codec_High_Definition:

Video Editing software that supports the AVCHD format:

* Apple's Final Cut Express 4, Final Cut 6.01, CyberLink's PowerDirector 6, Sony Vegas 7.0e, Vegas Pro 8, and Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8, Corel's Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus, Pinnacle's Studio Plus 11, and Avid Xpress Pro and Avid Media Composer, Canopus' EDIUS Pro 4.5.
* Nero 7 Ultra Edition Enhanced and Nero 8 Ultra Edition are a software suites which contains the AVCHD editor, found in Nero Vision. Also included in this suite is Nero Showtime, which plays AVCHD files natively. Edited video can also be burned to DVD discs in AVCHD format for playback on hardware players or in Blu-ray format.
* iMovie '08 allows you to convert AVCHD to the Apple Intermediate Codec format, but does not support AVCHD directly.
* Other developers have pledged their support but it may still take some time for the implementation.

Software that converts the AVCHD format to other formats:

* Canopus's AVCHD Converter can convert AVCHD clips into a format which can be edited using Canopus' EDIUS 3/4.
* A related tool, Canopus' ProCoder, can perform conversions that produce files which are usable by other video editing applications that do not support AVCHD natively.
* Cineform also offers the Neo HDV product that allows AVCHD clips to be converted into I-frame wavelet .avi files designed for editing and post-production. These .avi files can be accepted by many popular consumer non-linear video editors, including those from Sony, Adobe and Corel, which has acquired Ulead.
* Another useful product is CoreAVC, a reasonably cheap and quick h.264 decoder for Windows, which can decode AVCHD as well as a variety of other h.264 formats.
* Nero Vision can convert AVCHD files to other formats such as MPEG-2 or AVI and can import them for use in video editing projects. Nero Vision can also export Sony's M2TS format to MPEG-4 files that can be viewed by Quicktime 7.
* PowerDVD Ultra comes with an AVCHD codec that can be used with AVISynth and VirtualDubMod as described here.
* There is a transcoder to convert AVCHD into P2, which is a format you can import into Avid Xpress or AVID Media Composer. The transcoder was created by Main Concept and is distributed free of charge by Panasonic.

I don't think it'll be a big problem editing the vids you get from that camcorder. My two cents = this camcorder is really HD. Giving this camcorder the name HD isn't just for show. Be ready for some professional-looking vids. :)

~Kelvin

xingzhican

xingzhican

Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Aweful looking meat product? is it Treet? No it's SPAM.