Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Everything freezes except for mouse

• Please log in to reply

.aces

.aces

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok, so after having my drive fried, I installed a new one and reinstalled XP and all my programs. Now, my system will randomly hang up and will become unresponsive. The mouse still moves, but clicking on things does nothing. I can open the task manager, but I can't do anything with it, and I can't control it with the keyboard either. It's had this problem several times, once when an installer for some mouse drivers froze up, another time when I clicked Start while opening Firefox... I can't really see any consistency there, but I'm no expert. :)

I'm quite sure this isn't a malware problem, but I wouldn't rule it out. I'll run some checks next. Also, I don't think it's a hardware problem, because everything is essentially brand new. The only thing I can think of is a driver problem, but I just reinstalled drivers for my video card, to no avail.

I'll list my system specs, and I hope someone can help me out with this.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ AM2 Processor
ASUS M2N-E nForce 570 SLI Motherboard
EVGA 8600GT 256MB Video Card
G.Skill 1GB DDR2-667 PC2 5400 RAM
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600YS 160GB Hard Drive (140GB Free)
Enermax Liberty ATX12V 400W Power Supply

I think that's all the relevant hardware. If anyone has any additional questions please ask, and I hope someone can help me out with this. Thanks. :)

Edited by .aces, 05 January 2008 - 12:04 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Just to rule out malware, I would recommend running one or two of the following online scanners:

All these scanners require you to use Internet Explorer because they need to install an ActiveX component to run the scan.

If anything is found, read through this area, see if you can Cleanup Your System. This takes care of the many of the problems without further action by the Malware Gurus on this site.

If this doesn't do it, post a HijackThis log HERE. Make sure you read the You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log article before posting.

Please be patient as the malware removal experts are extremely busy and it can take 1 to 3 days for them to get to you.

.aces

.aces

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Oh ok, I found a few registry errors with Registry Mechanic and CCleaner and cleaned those up, things are running a lot better now. Thanks for the help. :)