Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I want to upgrade heatsink

• Please log in to reply

l0st.en.Drago

l0st.en.Drago

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
:) So this is my first post. Great! Hi Geeks2Go! OK-- I'm thinking about overclocking but the new systool won't install on my computer. It's in Alpa stages.. So I know to be safe I should upgrade my heatsink to something to keep it cooler.

I have the Intel Pentium D 940 CPU and it runs kind of hot out the box. I don't want to spend $150 on one either. Any good suggestions? Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Upgrading the heatsink and fan won't do anything about the software not running.
How hot is your Pentium D processor actually running? This information is usually available in the BIOS (under a section either entitled "Health Status" or "Hardware Monitor") that you get into by pressing F1, F2, Del, F10 or some other combination while the machine counts memory and finds the drives.

l0st.en.Drago

l0st.en.Drago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Processor Temp 91c
Internal Temp 45c
Remote Temp 41c

As I said: HOT.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Is that load or Idle temps?
If that's idle temps I suggest you turn off your computer immediately.
In all fairness, Pentium D's are already hot enough as it is, overclocking them isn't advisable unless you want to spend ~60$ on cooling.
James

l0st.en.Drago

l0st.en.Drago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
That's when I boot up. Yeah-- I learned about the Pentium D after I already bought it. So what is a good heatsink then? For around $60..

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Please do not do anything demanding on that PC, turning it on alone is a major risk
I'm not familiar with any sites in Mexico, can you please give me some or one?
I really don't think your current heatsink is mounted properly....
James

l0st.en.Drago

l0st.en.Drago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I've builted the computer myself. I've also just checked to make sure that it's connected correctly. I'm American but I live in Mexico. I'd buy it online, and have it shipped to my PMB in United States.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
ARe you sure you put the correct amount of thermal paste on the cpu (ie not too much/too little)?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Before purchasing a heatsink, I suggest you do the following
  • Remove the stock heatsink
  • Clean the existing Thermal paste of both the CPU and heatsink.
  • Apply new paste to the CPU
  • Remount the heatsink

See if this will resolve your issues.
James