Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Message: Ox8DDD0003 might caused by Trojans [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

jing2

jing2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Just came back from fixing up lunch for my son.

I just found out the location: C:\program files\QucikTime

Advertisements

jing2

jing2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I just went ahead deleted the whole QuickTime folder from program files. But it is still at the Add or remove programs. The size is 0.14MB.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
We will do this to remove it from the add/remove list

Delete an Entry from the Uninstall List

• Open HiJackThis
  • Click on the "Config..." button on the bottom right
  • Click on the tab "Misc Tools"
  • Click on the Box that says "Uninstall Manager"
  • Click on the entry you wish to delete
  • Click on Delete this entry
  • Click "Yes"

How is your computer now ?

jing2

jing2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hey Essexboy, I got rid of that QuickTime now! !! :)
You are a computer superman! You don't knwo how happy I am now. Can I consider my computer is fixed now? I mean on both accounts? So I don't have to do the same thing under my husband's user name?

Thank you so much! You have a good night over there or have a good day if you see this in your morning!

Jing

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I guess we can call this case closed then

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean :)

You can now delete all programmes I had you download

Now to get you off to a good start we will re-set your restore points so that all the bad stuff is gone for good. Then if you need to restore at some stage you will be clean. There are several ways to reset your your restore point but this is my method:

1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > System Restore.
2. On the dialogue box that appears select Create a Restore Point
3. Click NEXT
4. Enter a name e.g. Clean
5. Click CREATE

You now have a clean restore point, to get rid of the bad ones:

1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk Cleanup.
2. In the Drop down box that appears select your main drive e.g. C
3. Click OK
4. The System will do some calculation and the display a dialogue box with TABS
5. Select the More Options Tab.
6. At the bottom will be a system restore box with a CLEANUP button click this
7. Accept the Warning and select OK again, the program will close and you are done

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free program:
  • SpywareBlaster to help prevent spyware from installing in the first place.
It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To keep your operating system up to date visit

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this article by Tony Klien: So how did I get infected in the first place?

Keep safe :)

jing2

jing2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Essexboy,

Before we close my topic, I think I still need your expert opinion one more time. You are so professional. I was just about to ask you what I should do about all the programs downloaded. I will create a restore point and clean the disk after I hear from you.

I went through the “Tune Up 2007” task. The System Advisor told me that I don’t have any anti-spam software on the computer. Do you think it is necessary? If so do you have any recommendations?

From what I have been reading on this wonderful website I learned using P2P on the computer is risky. I had downloaded a program called “PPlive” last November, I could watch movies and TV shows online with that program. But I used it the most for my 3-year-old son to watch some cartoons in Chinese. He really liked it and it is a good resource for him to learn Chinese while we are in the US. Do you consider PPlive a risky P2P program? Since I was not sure about it and we are having problems with our computer, I just removed it a few days ago. I am not sure if it was that program caused all the trouble, or something else. It was no problem running for over a month since last November though. Do you think it is safe to use it?

I have been downloading all kinds of software and programs in order to fix our “sick computer” in the past 2 weeks. Now I have tons of icons on my desktop. Would you advise me which ones I should keep and which ones are to be deleted? Or Shall I get rid of them all and just install SpywareBlaster you mentioned? Here is a list:

XP-winup_netpolicy.vbs
Winupdate.vbs
ATF Cleaner
System Restore
AVG Anti-Spyware
SUPERAnitiSpyware Home Edition
Hijiack This
Ad-Ware 2007
Smitfraudfix
Deckard’s System Scanner(DSS)
Norton Removal tool
WinPFind35u
Java Runtime Enviroment(JRE) Version 6 (guess I will keep this, right?)
ComboFix
Updaterestore
Tune Up 2007

Essexboy, I can’t thank you enough for your help. I appreciate a great deal for your time and efforts and your patience to a computer ignorant.

Have a good weekend!

Jing

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi jing as long as you are careful with P2P programmes and scan everything you download before running you should be reasonably safe '

I would suggest just keeping the following and uninstall the rest :
SUPERAnitiSpyware Home Edition
Java Runtime Enviroment(JRE) Version 6 (guess I will keep this, right?)
SpywareBlaster
And of course your Antivirus programme

jing2

jing2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Essexboy,

Thanks very much again for your opinion! I am sure I will have a good weekend myself since I can take a break from struggling with our comupter. You are the BEST!

You have a good weekend too!

Jing

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Bye Jing and enjoy yourself as well :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements