Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Watching Cable TV on Vista

• Please log in to reply

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Hey all. I have a brand new Dell Inspiron 530 desktop computer with Windows Vista Home Premium 32BIT. I used to watch cable TV on my laptop with Windows XP Media Center Edition, using an external Hauppauge TV tuner, and the software that came with it.

Well that software isn't compatible with Vista. Using the Media Center that came with Vista, I was able to get the computer the detect the TV tuner, and I was hoping to be able to use it to watch TV through Media Center, rather than the Vista-incompatible software I used for my old system. Everything seemed to set up fine, until it searched for channels. It couldn't find any, and whatever it did find were apparently antenna channels, that didn't work (I don't have antenna television). I couldn't find anywhere to switch it from antenna to cable, so this is where I'm asking for help.

Is it possible to use a TV tuner to go from coax TV cable to USB into the computer, and watch the cable channels using Media Center (no third party software)? If so, what do I need to buy (preferably USB tuners as apposed to internal tuners)? Remember it has to be compatible with Vista Home Premium.

Perhaps I already have the right equipment but I'm not setting it up correctly? I don't know, you tell me.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Advertisements