Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection But No IP; Damaged TCP/IP

• Please log in to reply

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, would you please open a command prompt window (click start type "cmd" press enter) and then type "ping 127.0.0.1" this is a loopback and will let me know if your machine can make a connection. please let me know if the ping was sussesful or failed. Thank you

Advertisements

chapel

chapel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Hello, would you please open a command prompt window (click start type "cmd" press enter) and then type "ping 127.0.0.1" this is a loopback and will let me know if your machine can make a connection. please let me know if the ping was sussesful or failed. Thank you

I got this message "Unable to contact IP driver. Error code 2". Suggestions?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello again, It is ether your NIC (wireless adapter) or your tp/tcp stack. since resetting your TP\TCP stack and winsock fix did not work for you I am thinking it may be your NIC (wireless adapter). Lets try something simple first. Please open control panel, open internet options, click on connections, click on LAN, and make sure there is a check in the find IP address automaticaly check box.
Trouble shooting the NIC; can you hard wire the machine and get online? (using a different network card), are you able to try a different wireless card to see if that works?
You can buy an inexpensive USB NIC so you can test to see if it is a problem with your card. (you said that there where no problems with the driver when you went to device manager, is that correct?)

chapel

chapel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Hello again, It is ether your NIC (wireless adapter) or your tp/tcp stack. since resetting your TP\TCP stack and winsock fix did not work for you I am thinking it may be your NIC (wireless adapter). Lets try something simple first. Please open control panel, open internet options, click on connections, click on LAN, and make sure there is a check in the find IP address automaticaly check box.
Trouble shooting the NIC; can you hard wire the machine and get online? (using a different network card), are you able to try a different wireless card to see if that works?

I have a check in the "automatically detect settings", but I don't see an IP box. Is that the box you mean? I can hardwire my computer into the modem/router but it will take a little bit of time. I can also switch wireless cards with a computer that is currently connected and see what that does as well. Which do you prefer I try?

You can buy an inexpensive USB NIC so you can test to see if it is a problem with your card. (you said that there where no problems with the driver when you went to device manager, is that correct?)

Yes, device manager says that my Netgear wireless card is working properly.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I am sorry that it took so long to reply, it does not matter which card that you use (wired or wireless) as I am trying to determine if the problem is with the NIC that you are using. The idea is if it works with another card then it is the card that is the problem. If it does not work then we look at something else.

chapel

chapel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ugh, finally finished my testing. I tried both wired and a new wireless card and both times I got TCP/IP errors. The same errors my current netgear card was getting. How do I fix this TCP/IP problem?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, I would like for you to do two things please. First, would you go here and read all of the information. Then download (save to flash drive/ CD/ or floppy) lspfix.exe.
The second thing that I would like for you to do is download Fire Fox and save it the same way.
please instal both of the programs on to the damaged machine. Try firefox first, than the lspfix.

chapel

chapel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
hey,
sorry about the late posts. with school starting back up, it's going to be a little slower on my end. Anyways Firefox did nothing and the LSP application found no errors.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
OK, the NIC drivers are instaled, lsp fix did nothing, Firefox did not work, refreshing the tp/tcp stack did nothing, winsockfix did nata, IPconfig\renew did not work. now it is time to go to the malware forum. I am sorry but next to saving your data and reinstalling the operating system I am now at a loss. I believe that your machine is hijacked or infected.

chapel

chapel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Well I just came from there before this thread and I'm pretty clean. I might have deleted files when I removed the previous malware files. Unfortunately I don't have an operating system disk because I bought my computer from Staples with all the programs in it and they were too cheap to give me a disk. Would a recovery disk or system restore work, or do I have to shell out the cash to get a copy?

edit: Also, what would I label the thread if I were to go to the malware forum since it's not a particular file I'm trying to get rid of?

Edited by chapel, 08 January 2008 - 11:49 PM.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
The reson that I suggest you post in the malware forum is because only malware staff may help with malware issues. I believe that when you where infected some thing messed up your TP/TCP stack. (the loopback ping did not work )

Can not connect to internet, Please help
1) your NIC drivers are ok
2) same problem with different NIC
3) refreshing the TP/TCP stack did not work
4) lspfix did not work
5)winsockfix did not work
6)IPconfig\release IPconfig\renew did no work
7) using a different browser (FireFox) did not work
8) this happened right after you cleaned your machine from infection

just copy and paste the quote and they will direct you.
If you do a system restore it may take you back to when you where infected
yes , a recovery disc is what you will want to use if the malware experts can not find any thing. Please save all of your; music, pictures, documents, ect... to a flash drive, CD, or DVD

chapel

chapel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for all your help and patience through all this. I really appreciate all the help you've given me. I'll head on over to the malware forum and see what they know about this.

chapel

chapel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Just came from the malware forum and was told that this is "100% not a malware problem". So anyone know anything on this?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello again.
We have found out that this is not a software issue.
When I had you try the other NICs did you install the drivers as well?
But I think that it may be a problem with the slot the NIC is in.
You may try another slot, however I feel that it is time to buy a USB NIC like THIS . This is just an example and you do not have to order it, why even walmart has them!

chapel

chapel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I resolved the problem finally. I stumbled across a thread where someone had the same problem as me. He said to search for all files named tcpip.sys and rename them to tcpip.sys_old and windows will come up with a message and fix itself and then reboot. The message didn't come up for me, but when I rebooted it was fixed. Increadibly simple for such a frustrating problem. Thanks again for the help though, it was nice of you to lend a hand!